Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read, and now tried, this seems like a great way to protect your frame from rust:

http://www.greenlaner.net/features/oct0 ... ection.htm

But I want to know if anyone else has tried this over the long haul. My frame has some rust forming, but I'm lazy and this seemed like a great way to kill the rust before it gets worse.

Any thoughts on this technique?

GL

·
Registered
418 Posts
A lot of people do this in salt spreaded road areas.

but there's nothing 'GREEN' about it !!! Obviously if you coat your frame with oil , it's going to drip off !! Maybe you could use vegetable oil........

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sh_YVR said:
but there's nothing 'GREEN' about it !!! Obviously if you coat your frame with oil , it's going to drip off........
No doubt about it. Not to mention the fire hazard :shock: ! It's also REALLY messy if/when you need to work on your truck with that greasy dirty gunk all over everything.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, it's a pretty 'green' solution compared to many other ones out there.

Many paints and primers are made from nasty chemicals, and they too drip off during application, not to mention the chemicals released into the air during the production process. Then there's the power used during production....and by any power tools during application.

And because the used oil is mixed with kerosene, it doesn't actually drip off once it's been applied. The kerosene evaporates and leaves behind a nice oily film. And if you don't over spray, even less will drip off during application.

A thin coating of dust will stick to the thin coating of oil, but that layer of dirt just helps to keep the oil in place and helps repel water, and the heavier dirt falls off.

If you have to work under the vehicle, just spray a little cleaner on before going to the car wash, and it will be even cleaner than if you hadn't covered it in oil.

Of course time will tell about any long-term benefits....but it seems to maker perfect sense....

GL

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 'green' solution sounds like champ of an idea, however for those not keen on 'oiling-up' the undercarriage of their rigs, I'd have to put my money on POR-15. I just did a frame-on restore of my '77 FJ40 and used POR underneath the herculiner on the inside of the tub, and I'm impressed. It goes on real nice with a one-coat coverage and dries to a rock hard shell. Plus it applies right over the rust and seals out moisture very well. For an undercarriage no topcoat of paint in necessary since it won't be exposed to UV light. Obviously time will tell its durability, but for the $30 it appears to be money well spent. The but the quart I bought did most of the cruiser and I have half a can left. Should be enough to do the frame and suspension components of my 'zu.

Rob

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing I've heard about any treatments applied over rust is that they essentually lock in moisture, so althougb no new rust starts, the existing rust will keep...rusting.

Then there's the issue of rust inside the frame itself....I've heard some people use Waxoil in the UK, but don't have any experience with it myself.

GL
--
www.greenlaner.net

·
Registered
101 Posts
hey guys

anyone ever tried White Lithium spray? I bought it for lubrication then started reading up on it hmmmm it suppose to be good for corrosion too! so i sprayed all over where i saw rust... it's pretty cheap but more importantly easily applied! :D

Happy New Year!
Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Por-15 is a fantastic product! It chemically bonds to the rust and seals the metal. Any existing rusty area that is covered will not continue to rust both due to chemical conversion and the fact that rust is oxidation....meaning it is a reaction that needs oxygen. Once you seal out the oxygen....rust should stop. I've used Por-15 on a number of cars and non-car related things and the stuff is worth every penny!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want something like POR-15, but don't want to spend the high dollar, check out Corroseal. http://www.corroseal.com/

This stuff is only $40 a gallon (less than 1/2 what POR-15 costs), and it does the exact same thing as POR-15. It's main use is for industrial tankers and the like, so it is made to hold up to some serrious conditions.

I did a complete frame off of my CJ-7, used it on the frame and a lot of the body, then top coated the frame with Hammerite. 2.5 years later, and not a single spot of rust.

Pics here:

http://www.jeepjeep.org/photos/projects/cj/part1/

The only pics with the product on are the last few (the night shots), such as this one:

http://www.jeepjeep.org/photos/projects ... CF0051.htm

The dark black spots were all rust, the paint converts it and it oxidizes black. The whole project used about 1/2 gallon, but it was pretty rusty.

Now she's all purty:

http://www.jeepjeep.org/photos/gallery/ ... N0058.html

:)

edit: Sorry bout all the j**p pics, but haven't gotten around to work on the Troop much yet, gotta wait until spring and the snow goes away :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.