Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this story posted on a photography forum I read.

And this on a aviation forum I read, both this morning.

Coming up on 10 years since 9/11 and everywhere I look it seems the terrorists are winning. I've got the TSA harassing me, and everyone else at my school, just because some idiot mouthed off to them, (told that story in a thread here somewhere) not to mention the TSA's theater of security at airport terminals. Yes, it is all an illusion, designed to help people who don't know any better to feel safer, but anyone who knows much about how airline travel works can tell you it's just theater. Also the DHS want to make it law that even private owners of heavy (over 12.5Klbs) planes will be required to have TSA like security teams. So it your rich neighbor/friend want to take you somewhere, or for a ride in his jet... sorry you have to go through security. :roll: Not to mention folks like Jon Huntsman Sr. around here who use their personal jet for charity purposes all the time. "Sorry little girl with cancer, but you now have to get patted down and scanned before I can fly you to MY cancer treatment center on MY private jet."

We have programs now like the "See Something, Say Something" and "Nationwide Suspicious Activity Reporting Initiative." . Which sound an awful lot like the "Ministry of Love" from Orwell's 1984 to me... great :( Big Brother is growing up.

I don't know maybe I'm overreacting, but I am truly pissed off :evil: it seems that everywhere I look people are being told to be paranoid and suspicious and spy on their neighbors for the guv'ment, because there is probably a terrorist living next door, and planes will fall out of the sky if we let you carry a keychain pocketknife, or bottle of lotion on board.

I don't want to live in an America like that, where everybody suspects everyone else, nobody trusts anyone, and you can't have hobbies like photography at the mall, or aviation because the terrorists use those as tools. So what, the terrorists could stuff a puppy full of TNT, just as easily as a Cessna, should we ban puppies in public.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Benjamin Franklin.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Sags said:
Saw this story posted on a photography forum I read.

And this on a aviation forum I read, both this morning.
The terrorists haven't won, so much as big brother has used the terrorists as an excuse for this kind of stealing of our civil liberties.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Ever since they started this crap I have refused to fly anywhere on commercial airlines. If I can't get there in a couple of days in my truck, I don't really need to be there. If they start doing the same junk to private planes I guess I won't be going flying with my friends anymore either.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
What's unfortunate is people have always been suspicious of their neighbors, what's more unfortunate is that the people ignore others in public settings where they actually need to pay attention. The old lady spying on her neighbor and calling the police every time they work in the garage late at night takes away resources that could be pursuing real crimes. But somehow nobody ever notices the strange looking fellow in the trench coat traipsing through the mall with an arm full of guns........ :roll: Same with someone injured, everyone always flocks to see what's going on but few ever help. Society is so desensitized that way at that's where we are weak. We have over zealous security guards chasing a strange acting photographer but ignoring the gang of flash mob thugs loitering and waiting to take advantage of a situation. People focus on the poor security guard who thought he was onto something and then try to sue the mall or make an example out of someone. Wonder what happened to the embarrassed security guard? Public awareness is key and I think that's what those programs are geared towards. Problem is, nobody wants to side with big brother, especially when there's a cheesy looking official looking web site dedicated to it. The ones who do are the freaky want-to-bes who take it way too far. It's sad but true.

We all know that there are holes in the systems, there always will be. Someone will always take advantage if they can. Any system works that way because we are opportunists by nature. Like a lot of systems, The TSA is a filter that fills those holes and adds layers to the system every time a failed attack happens. (no sharp objects, shoes off and no water allowed, intimate pat downs) As annoying as it may be, we have to adapt and move on, I know I have gotten good at going through the motions and can get through line fairly quickly these days. I still don't understand why the Mom with the kids and the elderly are profiled? Diapers? Just a guess but you anyone can tell a person done up in makeup to look old vs and real old person. Guess I just over think things.

If the terrorists want to attack, they'll find a way to do it. Unfortunately, even a failed attack will be sensationalized and blown out of proportion, more so if it's successful. The reports always focus on why it failed and who is accountable. Why don't we ever see reports on all of the attacks that were thwarted and who did a good job?

We're just fortunate so far that the terrorists who have tried to attack were absolute morons. The shoe and underwear bombers? Come one, what idiots! The times square truck bomb attempt? Again, the guy obviously had no clue how things work. I'm assuming the smart ones are harder to convince that there will be 50 virgins waiting for them........

The smart ones who got mad that the system screwed them are the ones we need to be worried about. Sadly, times are rough and a lot of people have been burned by the system. I think intelligence is on the look out for these things, unfortunately it sometimes makes us feel violated in the process. personally I'm glad that we have it and are able to feel safe because of it. Just imagine yourself stuck in middle of a situation if the system wasn't in place. Things exploding around you, people hurt, people panicking........how would you react? We don't realize or appreciate how much they really do. Big brother, like him or not is working overtime this week to try to protects us. We should all be thankful for that!

Did the terrorist win? Debatable, they did hurt us and they did inconvenience us. Sure! but at the same time, they showed us where we are weak and we become stronger because of it. Their leadership is gone and their financing diminished. But to do this, it cost us tax payers Trillions of dollars in the process. Money that could have been spent elsewhere. All I know for sure is I feel safe in public and I'm able to post my opinions on a very public forum without fear of retribution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts