Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, common problem. Moisture in the headlights.

Once you get rid of the moisture that has accumulated there...

What is the concensus of opinion, on how to keep the moisture out from then on ?

Vent ? Seal it up completely ? Other ideas ?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
You seal it up. Either the seal around the glass has gone out which I doubt, or the seal around the bulb is letting moisture in.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Med!c said:
You seal it up. Either the seal around the glass has gone out which I doubt, or the seal around the bulb is letting moisture in.
That's what I was thinking.

Then it occurred to me. Condensation.

Wouldn't it be better to have a positive vent in there that would actually let the moisture out ?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Well a properly seal headlight shouldnt have condensation. If you think about it, it's taken 20 years for your headlights to develop this problem. If you seal them properly with whatever glue/binder they make for them, and if you make sure your bulb o-rings are good it will take 10+ years for you to see this problem again. I suppose you could put a valve on there, but it's kind of over engineering though cool nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just pop a tampon in there to absorb the moisture. Leave the string hanging out the bulb orifice and change it when you notice that it's become saturated.

But seriously, seal that bad boy up. :)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My experience has been the sealant between the glass lens and shell deteriorates with age. Left alone, the chrome will flake off on the inside of the shell, which looks horrible and diminishes the light quality.

First I used a heat gun to dissipate all moisture in the shell. Carefully of course so as to not crack the glass lens.

Then I used black high temp RTV and filled/covered the joint between lens and shell, wiping off all excess before it dried.

I've had no leaks or moisture condensation using this method.

The bulb o-ring could be bad also.

My two cents on this problem.

Selador AKA Tat said:
Ok, common problem. Moisture in the headlights.

Once you get rid of the moisture that has accumulated there...

What is the concensus of opinion, on how to keep the moisture out from then on ?

Vent ? Seal it up completely ? Other ideas ?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
the fuuny thing is the driver side is always the one to go first for some reason

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Metal88 said:
the fuuny thing is the driver side is always the one to go first for some reason
Yeah, why IS that ???

:?: :?: :?:

My plan:

Get it off the truck. Get it dried out. Seal it up.

I'll drop a couple of those little silica gel packets that come in pill bottles, into it, before I plug the bulb carrier back in. (Those tiny little packets, lying at the bottom of the glass, aren't going to affect the light, enough to be noticeable.)

I'll replace the o-ring on the bulb carrier. And grease that, with some silicone grease.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I don't think the desiccator packets are really good idea.

1. I think it may actually affect how the light is reflected / projected.

2. If the bulb is hot and you hit a decent size bump, there is the chance that the packet can hit the bulb. Any contact to the hot surface of that bulb is going to shorten its life span.

Lots of speculation of my part... 0.02

EDIT: Yeah mine is fogged up only the driver's side too. Interesting. Prolly either a difference in design (flaw) right vs left with the housings. Or a big temp difference in the engine bay right to left.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lo and behold...didn't have to make a new post...search worked perfectly. I recently purchased new rectangulars (as my old were flaked off rusty inside--drivers side the worst). When i put them on a couple weeks ago they were dry and clean. Now have moisture inside. I'm thinking condensation. I'll try a hair dryer to get the moisture out, then grease the bulb oring first. Thanks for an old post!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I'm just going to guess on the drivers side one going, possibly because it gets the most spray and crap hitting it from traffic in the opposite direction? Mine have moisture too, hadn't really thought about drying them and resealing them but sounds like something I'd better do!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I put die electric grease on the o-ring around the bulbs and haven't had a problem since.
I think I might try the tampon method next. I always wondered what that string was for. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts