Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used Warn 8274 winch and a bumper that was fabricated locally to fit a Ford Explorer for $500. The bumper had to be cut to size and the brackets modified to fit the Trooper. I decided to attach the bumper by using the stock bumper arms and the existing 3/4" holes beneath the front body brackets. I reamed out the holes on the bumper arms to accept 5/8" bolts and fabricated new brackets out of 1/4" plate. I welded gussets on the inside of each bracket to stiffen the bumper laterally. The completed bumper weighed 95 lbs. After mounting the winch, the torsion bars were adjusted to the stock height of 33-34" at the center of the headlights. It seems that the previous owner must have lowered the front suspension by 2", or the height was lost with age. The weight of the winch and bumper had only caused the suspension to lower by 1/2".

·
Registered
523 Posts
I bet that winch pulls like crazy!!! Good work on the bumper......now come fab me on for each of my Troopers?

·
Registered
571 Posts
That looks like a Trooper from down under now, ready to pummel any kangeroo that hops in your path! Very nice job. How long did it take you to do all that? Also the height loss doesn't seem so bad. Trucks rear ends are supposed to be slightly higher than the front end anyways. It looks just right to me from that side photo.

PS: Your Isuzu emblem on the grill is on upside-down :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Star Blazers said:
How long did it take you to do all that? Also the height loss doesn't seem so bad. Trucks rear ends are supposed to be slightly higher than the front end anyways. It looks just right to me from that side photo.
It took me a week to cut and weld the bumper. I was surprised that the front suspension was more than 2" lower than the stock specification. Now there appears to be equal travel for the upper and lower control arms before hitting the rubber stops.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
looks reakky good! I would add some side wings to protect the fenders but hey It already looks good :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice Job, and Star Blazers is right, any Ausy would be proud of a "roo bar" like that (might even have to copy it myself)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Beautiful job. I'm thinking of putting my old 8k Ramsey on my Trooper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.