Isuzu SUV Forum banner

MOAB 2012

17K views 162 replies 22 participants last post by  ssericz 
#1 ·
So what are the dates this year?
I need to know how long I have to work on my Sas and Exo

#2 ·
ZuZoo always ends on the 3rd Saturday of May, which is the 19th. So plan for wheeling Tuesday the 15th through Saturday the 19th...or longer if you want. I am thinking about doing White Rim trail before ZuZoo.

#4 ·
ok sweet thanks steve btw when did you get another trooper? which one are you bringing? Im hooked on moab

#5 ·
#6 ·
Count on me to be there!

#8 ·
Man gunna miss getting all the pics of you burning up those tires

#10 ·
Bah, you'll be fine I've been to Moab 10 times and always made it home. (knock on wood!) You practically live next door compared to me...

#12 ·
The front diff thing was weird, probably a statistical anomaly. Certainly hadn't been a problem in prior years...and the head was probably a pre-existing condition.

That said, I'm going to do more touring this year, see some stuff I haven't seen before...in no small part due to the new rig, not looking to beat it up too much.

#14 ·
Almost all the sheet metal damage I did to the RS Trooper happened back home due to trees...never really did much of that at Moab, trees being somewhat scarce there. Of course, if you flop it on its side doing, say, Hells Gate or one of the hot tubs on Hells Revenge, well there you go. But I never got myself into that position.

I do recommend rock sliders, however.

#15 ·
BigSwede said:
Almost all the sheet metal damage I did to the RS Trooper happened back home due to trees...never really did much of that at Moab, trees being somewhat scarce there. Of course, if you flop it on its side doing, say, Hells Gate or one of the hot tubs on Hells Revenge, well there you go. But I never got myself into that position.

I do recommend rock sliders, however.
those are coming together slowly.
I guess on that note theres somethings that I need/want to get done before I hit the road
valve adjustment
new plugs/wires
sliders
torch my quarter pannels for a better aoa
a 31" spare :D
new clutch slave
transmission/transfer case/differential fluid change

just gonna have to deal with the occassional drip of the power steering :twisted:

#16 ·
Surprisingly most of my body damage is from Moab LOL. Small dent in the rocker panel the first year (sliders installed before the 2nd year), scratches on each side of the front bumper (dont care), worst is the dent in the drivers rear quarter by the tail light. Got that one at the entrance to Dome Plateau when the front wheel hung up and the rear slid into a large rock.

I'm always up for FnT. Still one of my favorite trails. But I've only been there 5 times.

#17 ·
BigSwede said:
ZuZoo always ends on the 3rd Saturday of May, which is the 19th. So plan for wheeling Tuesday the 15th through Saturday the 19th...or longer if you want. I am thinking about doing White Rim trail before ZuZoo.
what kind of trail is White Rim trail?? i think I can probably join you for that if its not too hard

#18 ·
I may try to make this event but it will take some major planning on my part. It is 1900 miles away but Moab is a dream of mine. One of those bucket list things. I've checked auto transport but they are expensive and can't give exact times for delivery. So 2 -3 days of driving and 9 tanks of gas and I think I can make it. We will have to see.......

#19 ·
White Rim isn't difficult at all, it has a couple of technical spots I'm told, but mostly it is just touring the edge of the river canyons in Canyonlands National Park. It is 100 mile long, still working out the logistics whether to camp on the trail or zoom through in one day. Camping takes reservations and planning.

#20 ·
BigSwede said:
White Rim isn't difficult at all, it has a couple of technical spots I'm told, but mostly it is just touring the edge of the river canyons in Canyonlands National Park. It is 100 mile long, still working out the logistics whether to camp on the trail or zoom through in one day. Camping takes reservations and planning.
I would think overnight would probably be better, I can do it with you

#21 ·
Yeah, a casual pace would be better, although logistically it is easier to set up base camp in Moab and just run it in a day. Camping on the trail involves getting reservations now before they are sold out. There is a limit of 3 vehicles per reservation also. If we do it in a day there is no limit. Of course we could have multiple reservations theoretically. So far I already have Jack going I think. I need to talk to him about scheduling this.

Possibly I could drop some stuff to store with somebody at the Red Rock until I get back from White Rim, I am going to be transporting a Kilby skid plate system I sold to a guy from Utah, plus all my base camping stuff I don't want to drag along on White Rim

#22 ·
Oh gosh I would love to come down for this. 850 miles one way though, or 14 hours and a couple hundred in gas. We shall see how the year progresses, I probably wouldnt come alone though and they wouldnt be driving an Isuzu...

#23 ·
[shrug] We aren't persnickety about who drives what...there are a number of guys who used to have Isuzus but show up with other rigs now. Last year we had a Raptor, a 4Runner, a Jeep or two...and its 1,300 miles for me, so quitcherbitchen. :p

#24 ·
If I read this right, 2013 dates will be the 14th thru the 18th, right? Don't think I have a chance at it this year, but '13 shouldn't be a problem. And I should have all my planned mods done to the Rodeo by then. I look forward to wheelin' anytime I can!

#25 ·
Its best to take 2 days to run White Rim. Some of the guys from work tried it in october but had to bail. Was either rain or snow that was causing a problem and they started to run out of gas. Extra cans of gas are a must on that trail. A lot of it you can run 2wd to save on gas, especially if you have a rear locker. One of these days I'm going to run it.

#26 ·
Is this a formal Isuzu event as in planned runs with different difficulty levels? It sounds fun. What are the vehicle requirements or recommendations? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.