Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i find a lot of information on putting bigger tires, but how about smaller? i do very little, if any, off road, and would like better fuel mileage. also i am looking for a deal, and if i know what range would work i could take the best deal i can find. thanks!
ps would 215 65 R16 work?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
If you have 16" wheels, the smallest you can *safely* go with the weight of these trucks is nothing below what it came with from factory. If it has 16" wheels, you can't go smaller then 225/75 R16

Same thing if you have 15" wheels, only it would be 235/75 R15

If you put anything skinnier, i.e. 215 versus 225's, it would probably be more prone to get out of control quicker....215's IMHO are for a lower ground clearance vehicle that doesn't have the notion to be top heavy.

These trucks are built like a moving box, you're only going to get so good of gas mileage. My rodeo came with 225/75 R16's from the factory, it gets the same gas mileage now with 265/75 16's, which are taller and wider.

So you just never know for sure if it's really going to improve or not. Stay with a *highway tread* type tire, you'll get the most mpg out of those tires

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
How would smaller tires give you better mileage? Are you referring to rolling resistance? If so it might be worth looking at a narrower tire, but I wouldn't get a smaller diameter tire, that would just increase engine rpm and likely lower mpg.

Something like a 205/85-16 is about the same diameter as stock, but is an inch and a half narrow. No idea if that size is readily available or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. i guess i'll just stick with the stock size, or slightly larger, given the notorious top heaviness ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts