Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Do you mean the 36-37 inch humvee tires that fit 16.5 inch wheels? I spent a bit of time in various places around the world driving Humvee's, and the "old" bias ply tires wore fast, but were better in mud than the "newer" radial ones.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think he means the skinny tires that are about 33 inches tall. the old military tires like they had on the old jeep willy's. I am curious about those tires as well as I have been wanting to go to a skinny 33 as well.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Those old skinny NDT's (non directional tire) Aren't much count for traction and ride. They don't call them grave diggers for nothing. I have them on my M416 trailer and they work well for that. I wouldn't want them on a drive wheel unless it was a resto vehicle. They are heavy Bias ply's in 7x16 size. Tires have come a long way since WWII!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have ran 36 /9/r16.....they are awesome in mud and sand...cant really tell you about on rock, they wear ok but dam they are as heavy as hell so don't expect your gas to go as far as it used to, and of course your engine and tranny will be working overtime

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
There is a place up here where they are 300$ per, and the retail at 700$ish..But un less my 1ton pickup has 400hp I would never own the again. ss narrow swamper is the real world equal if ya want a military tire

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The older NDT's don't last very long but with a little work using a grooving iron they provide a ton of traction. For the cost there are quite a few other tires that will far out perform them in all conditions. If you are set on military treads look at NATO tires. The more modern styles work very well and last about as long as a standard mud tire. They will cost a ton though and I'm going out on a limb thinking you'll have a hard time finding them in a load range that will ride well on an Isuzu. Most military tires are rated for maximum load under severe conditions, translated to English not suitable for a light weight SUV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts