Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to do a boot replacement with this kit? I'm OK with tools, but I'm no mechanic. My local shop quoted $400-$500 to replace cv's cause they don't do just the boots. When I asked about just replacing boots they said it would cost me almost as much as doing the cvs because the labor was the same. Just wondering if this job was a real bear or not.

http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml ... ID=1081216

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes there very easy the kit comes with a video on how to put them on, but the tear down to get to the point of putting them you need to know what you are doing. Good luck Don

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here you go:
http://4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/CVboots/?

Follow this guide EXACTLY, and you will be able to do it yourself. Be careful, go slow, and follow those directions EXACTLY, and it is a piece of cake. I accidentally skipped one or two of the minor minor details, and it made it much much harder.

The mecatech video doesnt go into enough detail, but does help to explain how to do the basic principals.
HTH,
-J :wink:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did mine in about 2 hours, with a $40 finish cost for both new boots. The hammer trick for loosening the upper ball joint works best if you place another hammer on the opposite side of the spindle that you are going to swack. I use a pair of 5 pounders, and usually need 4 or 5 good hits to break the taper loose.
Good luck, GEG

·
Registered
478 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
You have to pay extra for the video.
I bought my kit from Matt at Indy4x and, as advertised, it came with the DVD. I didnt have to pay extra.
-J :wink:

·
Registered
731 Posts
96rodeo said:
Wow, pry bars and sledge hammers... now I'm a bit nervous. :(
Those are pretty standard tools for any ball joint removal. They are not unique to the Isuzu's.

I've done other vehicles (not my Isuzu yet) and while not the easiest job to do there are far worse jobs.

·
Registered
732 Posts
pry bar not really needed but sledge yes :D its not to bad just a little time consuming if you dont have the time all in one day. but like said before take it slow and keep everything organized

·
Registered
275 Posts
I PAID $100 per side (includes 2 cv boots) total. Took one hour per side.
Four boots replaced at a good-- priced shop should run about $200 out the door. (two hour job for experienced mechanic with lift and transmission jack) I watched and learned......
I had other shops quote me double what i paid!!!!!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I never saw the need for the mechatech boots on isuzus. You have to remove the whole thing anyway to use them, after that the boot replacement is the easy part. Only difference is you have to take the ball cage and boot off the inner joint to replace the outer boot with regular universal boots.

Loosen upper ball joint and hit the knuckle hard with a large sledge hammer. 2-3 good whacks should loosen it.
Do the same with outer tie rod.
If there is an ABS sensor wire, unplug it and remove the brackets holding it.
Remove upper shock nut and move shock out of the way. Might have to remove one end of the sway bar link to pull the shock far enough without breaking the sway link.
Remove brake caliper.
Remove hub and snap ring on end of cv axle.
Remove band around inner cv boot (large end).
Pop out the keeper ring holding cv cage in the cup.
Pull steering knuckle toward you as far as you can and slip the cv out of the inner cup and towards the front of the vehicle.
Slide cv shaft out of steering knuckle.

I just did one this weekend. Total time was around 3-4 hrs and that was going slow teaching Mike how to do it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
personally they suck in my opinion, waste of 140 bucks for the kit, spent a couple of hours patiently and correctly installing them and not two frigging weeks later all 4 are ripped again, but its ur choice. like i said not worth that much money, time and aggravation, just my 2cents

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
78fbta said:
Gizmo,Was that on a 2nd gen Rodeo?
Yes, I've only done them on 2nd gens (98, 99, and 01). I think the gen 1.5 has the same setup though. Only thing I'm not sure of on gen 1.5 is how the abs sensor wire is routed. I know yours is a 2nd gen but thought I'd include gen 1.5 as well since thats what the OP has.

·
Registered
732 Posts
bluebait said:
personally they suck in my opinion, waste of 140 bucks for the kit, spent a couple of hours patiently and correctly installing them and not two frigging weeks later all 4 are ripped again, but its ur choice. like i said not worth that much money, time and aggravation, just my 2cents
ya i just replaced mine and im waiting for them to tear again

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I just used the Dorman universal boots from checker/schuks/kragen/o'reilley on mine and Mikes. They have more pleats and are thinner then the OEM ones so they are much more flexible. I've had mine on for about 4 yrs and so far no signs of cracking or splitting. Most of that time is with the lift as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had to do my outer boots. looked like more work than it deserved, so i went the easy route and installed universal split boots. that was 4 mo's ago. doing well so far. there is some tricks to it, so if u want the details, zap me back.
by the by: my isuzu pick-up is not lifted, but does use auto hubs, which i hear is a little harder on the boots.
arty :roll:

·
Registered
827 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.