Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that sounds semi-blasphemous, but look at what's happened the the SUV market, even from foreign automakers.

Yeah you've got the FJ Cruiser, the Xterra, etc... but look at what they've done to some of the others.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder

You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.

Only the good die young.

Take your pick, but I'd rather Isuzu have pulled out when they did then see a neutered version of the Rodeo in 2013.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
what was good about isuzy was their styling .

the biggest thing they had going for them was they were one of the few newer engines that were non-interference engines.

i wish they were still made w/o the oil using and a better transmission.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
5 th rodeo said:
I think GM was responsible for that downfall.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Wow that sucks!! big difference from the v8 2012 pathfinder!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
caveman said:
5 th rodeo said:
Why do people always blame big bad GM? GM was invested in Isuzu. The last thing they would have wanted was a company that produced poor products and did not make money.

But back on topic. The Ford Explorer is now a joke. The Durango, a joke. Now it seems Nissan has followed suit. The good thing I did hear about Nissanwas using a diesel in their Titan. I don't know why manufacturers take good truck like SUV's that can tow and do some hard work and throw them of FWD Unibody car platforms.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
betterthanyou said:
I don't know why manufacturers take good truck like SUV's that can tow and do some hard work and throw them of FWD Unibody car platforms.
Mostly because of fuel prices and market trends.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Let's just hope Toyota doesn't neuter the 4runner. That would be a sad day.

Reactions: krazzedbwoy

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
caveman said:
betterthanyou said:
I don't know why manufacturers take good truck like SUV's that can tow and do some hard work and throw them of FWD Unibody car platforms.
Mostly because of fuel prices and market trends.
Yea I guess so. Soon everyone is going to have to sit at home in front of the TV because their "SUV" will no longer be able to haul a tent trailer. :lol:

When the wife and I move into a new house we will be getting a good sized trailer and I hope GM still makes the GMC Yukon with a frame and a V8 and don't turn it into a unibody FWD Crossover with a turbo 4 cylinder. Hopefully this downward spiral they are calling a "Trend" reverses itself and people get off the couch and learn to enjoy the outdoors again and then maybe a full frame vehicle that can get through some trails and haul a trailer will become the norm again.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
betterthanyou said:
It's what the market demands. Soccer moms bought SUVs so they could feel conspucuous until the price of oil went up and everyone decided fuel consumption makes baby seals cry. Then it wasn't "cool" to be seen driving your kids to speech therapy in a big gas guzzling monster, so now everything has to look like a minivan again.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I have to be honest here. I wouldn't drive those big v8's because the cost per mile is way too high. Don't get me wrong if fuel was 1.01 dollars per gal like it was when I bought my trooper in 1997 I would love to have a more powerful frame on vehicle to cruise around in (nahhh I would have retro fitted a v8 into my trooper already). But with three girls and a stay at home mom for a wife I have to be on an allowance. But for the people who don't know how to repair their vehicles until the ecomomy improves and fuel prices go down and stay down. I only have to say one thing.....suckers! better you then me...I wouldn't buy a unibody 4 runner. haha

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
This morning on NPR they were talking about how in Nevada Google is working on some project to test and make 100% street legal robotically controlled cars.

http://technologizer.com/2011/05/11/goo ... -car-bill/

While on one hand, I am all for figuring out ways to solve our country's horrible problem with idiot drivers on their phones, drunk driving and elderly driver safety issues, at the same time the whole gist of the story really said one thing to me loud and clear, and that is, to take the driver out of driving. At they end of the story, they said something to the effect of, "who knows, maybe in a few years people won't need to be behind the wheel ever again" That thought kinda sickened me, as it serves as a direct blow to the car culture at its core.

Take my guns, take my cars, what's next? My wife and dog?

My point to all of this? Yes, the modern auto industry sucks and it is headed in a direction I do not like.

Bart

·
Registered
397 Posts
The mainstream SUVs are junk but there are still plenty of solid ones out there. Toyota Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, 4runner (all body on frame w/ locking diffs). Nissan Frontier & Xterra (minus the weak front diffs). Jeep Wrangler (this year got better engine). It's too bad the Ford Ranger is going away... But still there are decent options. It looks like Jeep is the only reasonably "small" rig for trail driving tho.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I agree there are still some nice options, just none of them appeal to me... :) I think the new 4Runner is ok, though.

Bart

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
betterthanyou said:
caveman said:
5 th rodeo said:
Why do people always blame big bad GM? GM was invested in Isuzu. The last thing they would have wanted was a company that produced poor products and did not make money.

But back on topic. The Ford Explorer is now a joke. The Durango, a joke. Now it seems Nissan has followed suit. The good thing I did hear about Nissanwas using a diesel in their Titan. I don't know why manufacturers take good truck like SUV's that can tow and do some hard work and throw them of FWD Unibody car platforms.
I thought the Exploder was ALWAYS a joke... lol
The Durango... Have you seen the commercials for this heap? "Where ya been the last two years, losin weight, gaining muscle, losing towing capacity, becoming a car with a lift kit".... The Grand Cherokee is the same and has anybody seen pics of GM's new "Colorado" pick-up, same b.s. "unit-body" design....
I'll keep my Rodeo thanks...

·
Registered
150 Posts
caveman said:
5 th rodeo said:
Dude it was ALL the General's fault Isuzu got the shaft man, now all that remains are gm's entire diesel line, the GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
ZuBrew said:
Let's just hope Toyota doesn't neuter the 4runner. That would be a sad day.
Amen to that Brother, also lets hope the keep the solid axle tradition

1 - 16 of 16 Posts