Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new here, my name is austin, im 16, and i may be getting a rodeo soon. The guy i work for has one in his yard that has been sitting for about 3 years, the guy owed him some money so he got the rodeo, he was expecting the guy to pay him back but it never happened and he just wants it gone. It is 1995 (not 95.5) 4cy 5 speed 2wd. The paint is faded and the hood is bent up a little from hitting a deer I already have a 95 toyota camry as a daily driver and was just going to use this as a bike hauler so it doesnt have to be pretty. I will be getting it for probably less than $100.
My questions are:

what will i have to do to it since it has been sitting for 2 years?

what can i do about that "musty" smell in the interior? Im guessing most of the smell is coming from the rear seats because the window was not up and sealed completely, so i may just be removing the rear seats since no one will really be riding back there. But what do i do about the carpets?

Probably a stupid question, but would it have a limited slip rear end?

·
Registered
677 Posts
First, Welcome to the Planet.

You'll find a treasure trove of info here to help you get the truck road ready.

For starters, after sitting that long the gas is not good. At the least you'll need to change the fuel filter. At worst, the fuel pump and maybe the injectors or carb depending on which it has.

Chances are the brakes have frozen to the drums. So don't be surprised if the wheels don't want to turn at first.

Vacuum lines may be dry rotted and need replacing.

The list is long for a vehicle that has been sitting for so long. However the good news is that these trucks are amazingly resilient and with just a little effort will bounce back from long term abuse.

The better news is you have come to the right place to get the info you'll need to get it up and running perfectly in short order.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
johnnie59 said:
For starters, after sitting that long the gas is not good. At the least you'll need to change the fuel filter. At worst, the fuel pump and maybe the injectors or carb depending on which it has.
And dump the gas out of the tank too.

G80 is the option code that will let you know if it has an LSD. It will be on the plate under the hood.

As for as the musty smell goes, I've heard good things about both Pine Sol and Simple Green. Just let any cleaned areas dry really good afterwards.

Good Luck with it! I'm sure you'll love it!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I bought a 92 Rodeo that sat for 4 years. similar situation. I had to replace the gas tank and all rubber lines then clean entire fuel delivery system using carb cleaner and compressed air. Injectors were ok but is the simpler TBI system not the system you have. Drop the tank and look inside. If there is a lot of rust or scale you'll never get it clean enough to make the car happy.

This thread shows what happened inside of tank.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=49077&highlight=gas+tank

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just for fun, here are a few pictures of what I had to deal with in my tank:

I cleaned the tank out really well and replaced the fuel pump. A few months later I had to deal with this:

Turns out, you can't really ever get the tank clean enough. The strainer was full of tiny particles enough to stop the flow of fuel. I ended up replacing the tank. Been good ever since.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
boy does that look familiar. My tank was just as nasty so I got one from the U-Pull-It and put in a new pump. no probs. Doesn't that old gas smell awful.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
my 94 Rodeo sat for 4 years with no gas, i threw some gas in it and it fired up fine.

I would be prepared to replace some parts like what has been a fore mentioned.

·
Registered
134 Posts
you have ot check all your rubber seals. they might be dry rotted. and you breaklines rubber lines also. and most likely tires also. and make sure that your airbox did not make a home for any thing wish you luck with it. in short look it over real good be for you drive it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Whatever you do - pay little for the car.

You'll need the $$$ for parts.

Don't be surprised if it runs good at first; then starts acting up after you drive it for a week or two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
get a bag of cat litter... roll up the windows.... pour the bag in a shallow pan...... I used this method, once when I pulled my gearbox.... I left it open on the floor, then went to california for a month.... came back and a cat had set up a bachelor pad... not only did the ceramic cat litter kill the cat piss smell, but the dirty bastard defacated in there as well... I used cheap non scented walmart brand... you know the kind that cleans up oil spills nicely.... you could use scented if you like.... I poured it in the the back floorboard... sucked it up in two days.... It also pulls moisture as long as you can roll up the windows.... just take it to the car wash or shop vac it out....

·
Registered
555 Posts
scallopface said:
get a bag of cat litter... roll up the windows.... pour the bag in a shallow pan...... I used this method, once when I pulled my gearbox.... I left it open on the floor, then went to california for a month.... came back and a cat had set up a bachelor pad... not only did the ceramic cat litter kill the cat piss smell, but the dirty bastard defacated in there as well... I used cheap non scented walmart brand... you know the kind that cleans up oil spills nicely.... you could use scented if you like.... I poured it in the the back floorboard... sucked it up in two days.... It also pulls moisture as long as you can roll up the windows.... just take it to the car wash or shop vac it out....
I dont know if it will work better or worse,but there is the silica gel cat litter. Its like the stuff that comes in little packets with shoes and stuff. I use it for my cat and it sucks up the smell as well as the urine. It also sucks up many other things. For instance,sulfur compounds and amines. In chemistry terms,things that can hydrogen bond,basically most things with nitrogen,sulfur or oxygen. Nitrogen and sulfur are usually in smelly things.

There is the name brand silica gel litter that is about 16 bucks for 8lbs,but you can get a generic brand called "Mimi cat litter" or some such at Walmart. The only problem is that it seems to have more water in it initially. In other words,it does not have the sorbent capacity that the good stuff has. Thats easy to fix though. Get a big shallow pan and put the litter in it. Bake it at 200 degrees for three hours. That drives off the water and it will work better than unbaked name brand litter.

Another thing you can try is activated carbon. You can get it from the pet store in the fish section in cartons about the size of a half gallon of milk.

If you need to clean a smelly stain like mildew or urine,first clean it with soap. (This is only for cloth seats or the carpets,not leather. I dont know WHAT to do with leather if it gets like that) Remove the seat from the vehicle. If your working on seats you dont want to flush the stain down into the carpet. If your working on the carpet its nice to have the seats out of the way. Flush the stain with soapy water and then suck the water out with a shop vac. Repeat until the water comes out clean and you have all the dirt out. Now let it dry. If it smells,flush it with vinegar several times,then with clean water until most of the vinegar smell is gone. (the rest will evaporate with time,but its a good indicator you have flushed it with enough water when the vinegar smell is gone)

This works because soap is basic and dissolves things that dissolve under basic conditions as well as greasy things it can emulsify and solvate. Some things however,like amines and ureas for instance wont dissolve in water under basic conditions. Under acidic conditions they will grab a hydrogen from the acidic solution and become soluble. This is actually used to separate such compounds from mixtures,like purifying caffeine from coffee.

I'd love to take credit for figuring this out,using my chemistry knowledge to solve a problem and all,but it wasn't my idea. My late grandmother told me how to clean stains like cat urine using vinegar. It wasn't until years later when I was taking an organic chemistry class that I realized WHY it worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts