Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are all kind of stories, positive and negative about EVs and their batteries. here's a local TRUE experience. It started on my wife's facebook page, went to local media, and was on world news a couple of days later. Saddest part was the poor family was doing business with (scumbag) AutoNation Ford of St Pete. I personally stopped using them for my fleet needs and started taking my Ford business to Walker Ford, about 10 miles farther north. Feel bad for these folks. Dennis

Florida Family Discovers That Used Electric Vehicles Are a Risk Not Worth Assuming

Reactions: itsmehb

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Lots of growing pains with EV, as with all new technologies. I'm so irritated that we aren't on a nuclear path, but nothing I can really do about it.
Same here. Nuclear energy is the best bang for the buck any way you look at it. And a few years ago we were on the verge of having reliable fusion technology.
The conspiracy theorist in me says we have it now, but it's being slow rolled because it's to be reserved for the few, not for general consumption. But other conditions have to meet first... Elysium.

I don't have a problem with ditching oil and going with a new tech.. but it has to meet current demands and prove itself before replacing the old tech.
Forcing new tech before it's ready while ignoring better options AND actively subverting/sabotaging the market for existing tech... That's not a recipe for success. That guarantees failure.. at every level, for everyone.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
No new technology has started out well, and it took early adopters to advance the industry. However, I agree with the sentiment of actively subverting/sabotaging the current market. Like many things today, and in history, it appears to be purely political and directly adverse to the general populace, which is a real shame. The old guard needs to be churned up with new blood that isn't so tied to current corporate super powers.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's always the HORSE. Dennis

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,459 Posts
Dennis, I saw that story in an AOL comment and for you to post the actual story confirms it to me as sometimes AOL comments are only opinions. We all know batteries have a finite life span, and a word to the wise should be if considering an EV. Use caution before proceeding. As for me, I'll stick with what I know, and that will be a gas-powered vehicle.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Dennis, I saw that story in an AOL comment and for you to post the actual story confirms it to me as sometimes AOL comments are only opinions. We all know batteries have a finite life span, and a word to the wise should be if considering an EV. Use caution before proceeding. As for me, I'll stick with what I know, and that will be a gas-powered vehicle.
The other day someone on Gab posted a quote from a GM dealer for a new battery for a Volt.
28 grand and change.

Ooh, just remembered a video I saw last year. A dude in Finland had a bad battery in his Tesla. A replacement cost more than a replacement car.
So he hired a demolition company to blow the car up and they filmed a short documentary about it.

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I was sent that same GM battery quote yesterday. It was around 28k, and for a Chevy Volt.
BTW. This isn't far from the same with "HOME SOLAR". I recently saw where a guy with an off the grid solar quoted that he has to replace 6 THOUSAND dollars worth of batteries every 7-8 years. This did not include other updates to his system. AND HE LIVES WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING. One major problem with a lot of this "latest" cap is there is no longevity plan. They sell you a system and a few years down the road it's all obselete - and often you are still making the payments. D.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
One major problem with a lot of this "latest" cap is there is no longevity plan. They sell you a system and a few years down the road it's all obselete - and often you are still making the payments. D.
The more I read the less I like wind or solar. Free energy... and we are on completely wrong paths to harvest either one of them. Dead end technology.
Both require massive amounts of rare earth minerals, which are.. rare. And very finite.
And the equipment can't be recycled. And it has a limited life span.

I think it was a WEF article I saw that said the earth has an estimated 172 someodd years supply of these minerals at current production rates. And in the same article said that production rates need to increase some ungodly amount (500% ?) in order to meet energy needs.

Those maths tell me that the self proclaimed biggest brains on the planet, who should be running everything, don't have a very good plan. OR the stated goal of their plan isn't the actual goal.
It was really weird seeing that information in an article promoting the tech and promoting rushing headlong into abandoning all other options.

Last year I signed up with Fluent for a home solar system (I think I mentioned it in another thread, can't remember).
It was a 13.5kw system with a 10kw battery backup. "lifetime warranty". 25 year financing. $78,000 before the battery pack was added. They never would tell me what the battery added to the note or if it was included in the lifetime warranty. All they wanted to talk about was when to start installation.
Then I saw where solar panel efficiency is temperature dependent. Peak efficiency (the rating for that panel) is at 77 degrees. Higher temps, mid 90s and up, efficiency drops 25%. It is 77 degrees in North Texas approximately 10 days a year.
Hmm.. 25 year financing on equipment with a 25 year lifespan..
It was worth the $2500 cancellation fee to get out of the contract.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,459 Posts
Von, I think you made the right call. Was thinking as I was driving the other morning east on one of our big 4 lanes in one direction freeways, and across the median the traffic going west was a parking lot for about 4 miles. Solid stand still cars. Just imagine if they were all EV's. And a few of them ran out of juice. There wouldn't be enough tow trucks to clear the mess. Good luck greenies, you're going to need it. And here when it's over 100, which it was this summer over 40 days I use at least 40 KWH per day, and I have a small house. We're in for a rude awakening if the plan is to count on windmills and solar to power all our needs.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,459 Posts
They wouldn't except it was close to 100 that day even early everybody is using some power to just keep cool. and I may be exaggerating, but I'm not very impressed with the thinking as concerns our future electrical production.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with EVs per se, more people's fantasy that wind and solar is viable enough to support the grid. Or that the grid as is doesn't need almost a ground up rebuild. The fact that our country, and most others, are so against nuclear is maddening. Not that I'm some expert or anything.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Saw this article on Truth Social today. Fire departments are figuring out to fight EV fires.

I like the idea of a electric truck. The torque and power of electric motors are great. But a pure EV with current battery tech... Dead end.

One of these days... EVs with an onboard, compact cold fusion reactor. And a small reactor in every house.
I don't think that will ever be allowed though. The current model of how energy is sold won't allow that to happen.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I like the idea of a electric truck. The torque and power of electric motors are great. But a pure EV with current battery tech... Dead end.
That's been the beginning of every new technology though. Didn't it take ICE vehicles something like 70 years just to reach the efficiency levels that EVs started at? Heck, the very first telephone wires were literally barbed wire fences on cattle ranches. Talk about not a clear signal. Everything seems like it won't work, until it will.

I couldn't really use an EV for work (I often do out and backs of 4 hours one way), but for just cruising around town running errands and one would be ideal, I just can't afford vehicles that aren't at least 10 years old. My favorite is people who are like, "I could never own an EV. My parents live in FL and I drive down there once a year!" Haha.

Before we moved this summer, my most common stops were the auto parts store, grocery story, liquor store, and Home Depot, all within 1 mile of my house. Then taking the kid to school that was like 5 miles from my house. All those short trips would have been perfect for an EV.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Oh I agree about early versions of any technology. My beef with lithium ion is that it relies on resources that are already very limited and non recyclable. I can't see it being viable long term.
If it's a stepping stone to a different tech, then I'd rather we skipped that step and the gov cooled their jets till a better battery is figured out.. but they don't know how to course correct, even when the current course makes us dependent on china.

The headlong rush to EVs is still tripping me out. The way that it's being done.. the push on one side and the sabotage of all other options on the other.. all I can see is Lucy getting ready to yank the football away before Charlie Brown can kick it. (Boomer reference)
Or, as Admiral Ackbar would say... It's a trap!

Technology changes driven by market forces, that can actually meet consumer needs.. Good.
Technology changes that are forced on the consumer and don't meet needs..
Bad. Suspect.

A coworker bought an old Prius for a work car. He loves it. I was watching him get in it yesterday evening as I was cranking up the hemi ram with a quarter tank of gas in it..

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You are correct about the government stuff. Which is so strange that they are comfortable cashing fat checks from pharmaceutical companies, but not oil and gas companies.
Most of the headlines you see about cities, states, countries and companies declaring ICE free by whatever date, are always quietly walked back on page 12, months later, after all the positive can be wrung out of the initial front page headlines. Like you said though, with the government doing their best to make the worst possible moves, it hardly matters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts