Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I'm got all the parts laid out, and I'm ready to put my new Warn manual hubs on the Trooper. I've read the instructions, looks easy. I've reviewed the section of the Chilton's manual that covers the breakdown of the SOTF hubs (looks just like my TOD hubs), still looks easy. I remove the six allen bolts that hold on the cover, no problem. But the covers still won't come off. I've tried to pry them off, but I'm not sure how much pressure I can use before I should worry about breaking something. It's obvious that the axle shaft is wedged in there pretty tight. Is there a trick to getting it to release? :

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you removed the snap ring? The drive flange will not come off unless you remove it.

If you have removed the allen bolts and the snap ring, the drive flange should slip right off.

Tom

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have TOD so the end of the hub has a cap that's held on by the 6 allen bolts. The bolts come off to problem, but it feels like the cap is stuck on the axle. I can't even get to the snap ring until I get the cap off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That cap just fell off on mine. Maybe somebody put some sealant on it or something, but there is nothing holding it on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The cap should just pull right off once all 6 bolts are removed, maybe drive in reverse to try and unlock the hubs if there locked or damaged. If that doesn't work just get a really big hammer and start hitting it, make it come off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is a cover, and then there is a flange. The cover is like 1/8" thick and the flange is much thicker like 1/4" or 3/8". Maybe you are trying to pry on the cover and the flange at the same time. A little tapping on the cover should loosen it up and you should be able to get it off then.

The flange will not come off until you have remover the snap ring/c-clip that is holding it on. Can you see the end of the axle? If so, look for the clip, if not, tap on the cover and work it off.

can you take pics???????

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds like you need to remove the 6 10mm bolts on the face of the hubs were it says lock and free, once you remove that you can get to snap ring them your flange will come off, good luck.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yep the cap should just come off. And like also noted until you remove the cap you cannot even see the snapring.

My $.02 is to gently tap between the cap and the hub flange with a thin, flat blade screwdriver. See if you can pry the cap loose. Like already noted there should be nothing holding it there except some excess grease or maybe a sealant a prior owner might have put in there for some reason???. The hub flange on the other hand is held in place by the snap ring. Thus, when you pry the cap should come off while the flange remains in place.

I suppose the worst case scenario is that you beat the heck out of the cap and the hub flange for that matter. However since you are going back with new warn hubs is that really a problem (i.e. you are replacing both the cap and flange)?

As for once you get the cap off, the snapring should come right off. If you don't have some snapring pliers, doing that and the reinstall can be quite frustrating. A little push on the halfshaft from behind the wheel may help you get the ring more easily back in there.

Only other advice is that on mine I had a shim behind each snapring to set the freeplay of the halfshafts. These stuck to the old hub flanges. Thus, I almost missed them. Namely I took off the snapring. Pulled off the hub flange and set it aside. Put on the new hub flange (superwinch in my case). Noticed the play was too loose. Examined the old hub flange and found a shim stuck to it. Even with the factory shim back on the play was still a little off. A few months later when I did a bearing repack I ordered some new shims and was able to set the correct play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.