Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is coming and I am looking to swap the 01 Rodeo to manual hubs. Don't want to rely on vacuum to put me in 4 wheel in the dead of winter.

Searched for a bit but couldn't find a good write up.

I know something is different about the 2000 and 01 models that the hubs aren't listed for them.

What parts if any would I need to pull from the junkyard on a 99 to put these hubs on?

And why are there Chinese locking hubs listed for so cheap? I'm guessing they are junk?

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Winter is coming and I am looking to swap the 01 Rodeo to manual hubs. Don't want to rely on vacuum to put me in 4 wheel in the dead of winter.

Searched for a bit but couldn't find a good write up.

I know something is different about the 2000 and 01 models that the hubs aren't listed for them.

What parts if any would I need to pull from the junkyard on a 99 to put these hubs on?

And why are there Chinese locking hubs listed for so cheap? I'm guessing they are junk?
The front axle 4WD actuator on a 2001 Rodeo is not vacuum operated. The vacuum operated actuator was replaced with an electric motor operated actuator starting in model year 2000. I never had a problem getting into 4WD during cold weather with my 2001 and 2002 Rodeo Sports, it gets really cold where I live.
Starting in the Rodeo/Rodeo Sport model year 2002 the front hub and axle was changed to a passenger car type setup. You can't install manual locking hubs on a 2002 and newer.
The 2000 and 2001 should have the same axles as 1998-1999.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Further, changing to manual hubs does not increase any reliability getting into 4wd, it only increases the number of steps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mind having to get out of the car to engage 4 wheel. Last winter my wife couldn't get out of a situation driving the Rodeo - when she tried to put it in 4 wheel the actuator got stuck. Finally after driving backwards and forwards a few times she got it engaged. I'm sure there is a way to fix this. Figured manual hubs would be swap and forget about it forever, no more dealing with actuators not engaging properly.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
I don't mind having to get out of the car to engage 4 wheel. Last winter my wife couldn't get out of a situation driving the Rodeo - when she tried to put it in 4 wheel the actuator got stuck. Finally after driving backwards and forwards a few times she got it engaged. I'm sure there is a way to fix this. Figured manual hubs would be swap and forget about it forever, no more dealing with actuators not engaging properly.
The manual hubs are going to act exactly like your current flanges do. Unless you permanently acutate the front axle somehow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The manual hubs are going to act exactly like your current flanges do. Unless you permanently acutate the front axle somehow.
Yes, this is what I want to do. Permanently set the actuator in 4 wheel, disconnect electronics, and then unlock the hubs for 2 wheel.

This should also save the CV joints from needlessly spinning in 2 wheel.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It doesn't stop the CVs from spinning. There is enough drag in the system that they spin anyway.

If the 4wd didn't engage, it was because of a problem that was never addressed.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
It doesn't stop the CVs from spinning. There is enough drag in the system that they spin anyway.

If the 4wd didn't engage, it was because of a problem that was never addressed.
No they don't, at least not if the manual hubsa re installed correctly.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Have you ever put all four tires in the air and tried it? I did and the front still spun. I could stop them by hand, but they still spun. Maybe I packed my hubs full of too much grease. Either way, after having both auto and manual hubs, the only real benefit is 2wd low, and that's worth it all by itself in my opinion. You won't get any better gas mileage, the steering isn't any lighter, and you increase the amount of parts to potentially fail.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from manual hubs because I would, and did, install them again, and recommend it. I just think people tend to assume they will fix problems that they won't. Would you say that's fair?

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Have you ever put all four tires in the air and tried it? I did and the front still spun. I could stop them by hand, but they still spun. Maybe I packed my hubs full of too much grease. Either way, after having both auto and manual hubs, the only real benefit is 2wd low, and that's worth it all by itself in my opinion. You won't get any better gas mileage, the steering isn't any lighter, and you increase the amount of parts to potentially fail.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from manual hubs because I would, and did, install them again, and recommend it. I just think people tend to assume they will fix problems that they won't. Would you say that's fair?
I switched because the boots would fail often. Switched to manual hubs and never had another issue.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Rim Household hardware Bicycle part Circle Automotive tire

The issue addressed by the originator of this post is why the Manual Lock hubs for sale are not applicable to 2000 and 2001 Rodeo. This is an image of my 2001 Rodeo 17 spline drive plate, it looks like the Manual Lock hubs will fit. The same CV joint fits 1998-2001 Rodeo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts