Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a 2002, 3.2 Rodeo. I'm changing the main bearings and cannot get the oil clearance within the specs. I put back the old main bearing and torqued the bolts, and was about .076 mm, which is well out of the oil clearance range of about .025 mm and .05mm something, at the top of my head. I thought perhaps the bolts have stretched, and may require new ones. Does anyone have similar issue. Any help is appreciated.

· Super Moderator
98 Rodeo, 4JB1-TC
3,022 Posts
Are you keeping the caps in the same place they were? If you do not you will not get correct readings.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Did you mic the crank or at least check for wear before attempting to install new bearings? I agree with wPine, sounds like you need your crank turned. Also, check to make sure all the caps are in the right place, they are numbered so you can verify they are in the correct order.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Did you measure the baring clearance before removing the original bearings?
If you run your fingers down the shank of the bolt, you will feel if the bolts are stretched or not. There is a max length spec on the bolt's however, 99 out of 100 times they are reusable. The bearing cap mating surface must be perfectly clean and the bearing set flush into the cap and journal. Did you knock the bearing cap around a little bit when tightening the cap? Did you leave the horizontal cap bolts loose while tightening the vertical bolts? Did you reinstall the old bearing back into the same location they were removed from? If you the answers to all of these questions are yes, check the end play of the crankshaft and measure the journal diameter at 3 different locations. if you answered no to one or more of these questions, make the corrections and try again.

Remember. assembling a used engine with used parts is different than assembling a freshly machined engine with new parts. No service manuals will explain the difference or explain the additional steps required.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi to all and thank you for all your help. The car had in fact spun a bearing. I took the crank to my mechanic who made a visual inspection and thought it looked ok, but told me to use plastic/flexi guage. I also marked the caps in case i put them in the wrong place. I had used a micrometer on the crankshaft to work out the oil clearances. Reference to the manual shows the oil clearance is within tolerance, which i was not aware of at the time, even though they were outside the range as provided by the manual. I have not yet checked the end play and will do so after I make some corrections of points noted by Shawn. Again thanks.

· Registered
10,265 Posts
Spun bearing usually damages the cap / block or rod if a rod bearing. Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts