Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
MOST ECUs can handle about a 20% increase in injector size. Not 100% sure on the I-Tech comp though

As for just swapping the TBs The old TB is oval shaped while the new one is circular.

Yes the Impulse oil cooler will bolt right on. Of course you need to remove the AC compressor and its bracket to get the old one out of the way.

Jim

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Madcat88/89 said:
.....As for just swapping the TBs The old TB is oval shaped while the new one is circular.....
So the mounting surface of the TB -> common chamber is diff shape? At a glance the look to have same bolt pattern and base plate shape. I thought the MAFS side of the TB was the only size/shape diff.

~psfuardian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Thanks for the clarification :) . After concisering my own build (2.3l head on 2.6l) I think at wot the larger TB would exceed my intake ports Max cfm, atleast under natural aspiration. Will hold off until if/when I take the Turbo plunge.

~psguardian

·
Registered
192 Posts
Madcat,

Thanks for the pics of the injectors. They are a really close match, and solving the fuel delivery issue is such a huge step to getting this all working out in practice rather than just theory.

I really like your mock up pics for the intercooler and scoop. As long as you think the intercooler will be big enough and get enough flow, I'd say go with what you've got. The offset scoop is going to look awesome, too. That will certainly turn some heads.

Also, thanks for the pics about modifying the common chamber. If I decide to go that route eventually I'm glad to know what I'll have to do to mod it.

Any updates on anything else lately? It was starting to look like you were at the point of bolting some stuff up and getting it rolling.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Yeah shooter, as much as I want the scoop for looks, I think it would be really cool if it was functional and rammed air into the top of motor as well. I don't think the fab would be too hard...

Bart

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Bob w/ a trooper said:
Madcat,

Any updates on anything else lately? It was starting to look like you were at the point of bolting some stuff up and getting it rolling.
I was about to put it back together, then decided to test my injectors. They were clicking but weren't flowing :roll: So I've been getting them ready.

About to pull the lower int mani to get better access to the AC comp and oil filter adapter. Oil coolers going in this weekend or so.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got the lower mani pulled.

Couple more odds and ends to wrap up before I bolt it back on.

Spot I chose for my temp gauges sendor:

Also eliminated the TB coolant lines. The ports are pressed into the lower manis water passage.

Tapped the holes and plugged them up

Decided to ditch the AC system altogether. It never worked properly in the 1st place anyway.

Gave me better access to the oil filter bracket too.

Oil Cooler

Trooper bracket on left:

The pressure relief valve nut is too big on the Impulse bracket and hits the mount bracket. So I swapped over the smaller Trooper nut and spring. Still a tight fit, I'll add a pic tomorrow.

Also of note is the bolts are different between the 2.

Impulse bolts on left:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'M BAACK!!! and under my original screename noless *scratches head* whatever LOL

Got some stuff done to the Trooper lately.

2nd gen brake upgrade and manual hub swap:

Finished installing the 93 Rodeo big TB and MAF:

Finished wiring and installing the AutoMeter gauges:

Removed all the carpeting for a layer of rhino lining:

When I dropped the tank to mount the fual guge sending unit I noticed I need a new fuel pump and carrier :x

Jim

·
Registered
392 Posts
nice to see another louisiana trooper!

ive always wanted to do the TB/MAF swap, just didnt know how feasible it was..

·
Registered
546 Posts
That carrier doesn't look much worse than the one that came out of your Impulse. Why do you need a new one? Is there something broken that I am not seeing?

Also, I still have that manifold and turbo from my stock motor if you want it. I know you asked about it months ago, but its been difficult for me. It still has your name on it if you are interested in it.

Word of advice when Rhino Lining that floor. Pull every through bolt you can and plug the holes with corks or something else you can easily get out of there. I helped a friend do the same thing to his Bronco a couple of years ago, and we had to drill a few holes back out, which is a PITA and rather annoying.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts