Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here be my Trooper.

Engine

The engines got a fresh rebuild with a .030 overbore, Toga HV oil pump, Calmini cam, and AMC head.

Have been hoarding parts to turbocharge it. Should have everything come springtime.

Also snagged the oilcooler from an Impulse in the JY

Interior

Replaced the junk factory radio for a Pioneer unit and swapped in some Pioneer speekers for listening pleasure

After going through the wiring for the gauge cluster and a couple of clusters I decided to put in some autometer gauges.

Wheels/brakes

Ditching the LS 6-spoke rims for some Snowflakes.

I'm also swapping the front brakes for the 2nd gen setup

Also have on hand some Aisin Manual hubs to replace the auto units.

Suspension

No lift yet but plan on a full 6 in lift in the near future.

Jim

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks like a good start. Can't wait to see the turbo setup installed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The water temp needs an adapter to fit in the lower intake. Part #ATM-2268. The oil gauge is pretty straight forward, just swap out the pressure sensor on the oil filter adapter and run wiring.

The gas gauge is a bit tricky. Isuzu didn't use the same resistances for its float sensor (in the tank) as GM, Ford or Mopar so I got the gauge and matched Autometer sendor together, I'll post the part #s later when I get the chance. The autometer sendor even uses the same 5-bolt flange as the factory, just gotta get the sendor positioned properly so it'll read right.

Edit:
Just read you have the V6. You may not need the int adapter I listed.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the J/Y with an LSD from an 89 Impulse turbo:

And the bigger 2.6L intake/MAF from a 93 Rodeo:

Going back Sat/Sun depending on the rain to get the LSD from a 97 Trooper....I think it'll fit. Can't remember what year they changed the 12bolt.

Jim

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Sweet project!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Just got back from the J/Y with an LSD from an 89 Impulse turbo:
anymore out there that you would be willing to grab/ship for a fellow member?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was only the 5th Impulse I've seen in the 10 years I've looked for one including my personal 'Pulse.

If I see another in the yards I'll be sure to grab what goodies I can.

I can probably find some 12 bolt LSDs but Impulses are rare as hens teeth :cry:

Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Madcat88/89 said:
The gas gauge is a bit tricky. Isuzu didn't use the same resistances for its float sensor (in the tank) as GM, Ford or Mopar so I got the gauge and matched Autometer sendor together, I'll post the part #s later when I get the chance. The autometer sendor even uses the same 5-bolt flange as the factory, just gotta get the sendor positioned properly so it'll read right.
Don't forget this. Some of us are planning on borrowing some of your ideas. :)

I'm very excited to see your turbo build. As I said in my PM, after I get everything running, the turbo project is on the list. It's kind of the ultimate mod for the 2.6. There have been many started, but I've never really seen documentation of one finished. I really like the intake swap idea. Very good idea, head flow was on of my biggest concerns in the build.

The biggest potential hurdle I ran into researching was fuel. I've read you're not supposed to run above about 80% duty cycle on injectors, and with the factory ones it'll get there quick with a turbo. Also, the 2.6 injectors are apparently a proprietary shape, and I haven't been able to source larger ones to provide increased fuel flow.

Are you planning on doing anything to change the fuel delivery system?

Can't wait to read more!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Madcat88/89 said:
That was only the 5th Impulse I've seen in the 10 years I've looked for one including my personal 'Pulse.

If I see another in the yards I'll be sure to grab what goodies I can.

I can probably find some 12 bolt LSDs but Impulses are rare as hens teeth
If you run across a turbo exhaust mani, let me know. With or without the turbo attached.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Walbro has a fuel pump for the Isuzu trucks (its actually from a 240SX..SSHHH) that I have in the Impulse. The injectors are easy, look for anything that'll fit for a Mitsu Eclipse Turbo. Ive got 2 sets of Eclipse 440CC blue tops right now, kinda overkill for low boost but I don't plan on keeping it low boost for long :twisted: Some Mazda/Fords, Hondas and Nissans use this design as well.

Once I get the turbo installed and running right on ~5PSI i'm gonna look into a Megasquirt comp and get it tuned by my local dyno shop. I want to get around to logging a base run to see what the engine puts down with a relatively fresh engine before I turbo it.

I've got a spare mani...somewhere I'll PM you if I find it.

Jim

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
DAMUDKING said:
anymore out there that you would be willing to grab/ship for a fellow member?
hay,i found one here in a twin jy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Madcat88/89 said:
Walbro has a fuel pump for the Isuzu trucks (its actually from a 240SX..SSHHH) that I have in the Impulse. The injectors are easy, look for anything that'll fit for a Mitsu Eclipse Turbo. Ive got 2 sets of Eclipse 440CC blue tops right now, kinda overkill for low boost but I don't plan on keeping it low boost for long :twisted: Some Mazda/Fords, Hondas and Nissans use this design as well.

Once I get the turbo installed and running right on ~5PSI i'm gonna look into a Megasquirt comp and get it tuned by my local dyno shop. I want to get around to logging a base run to see what the engine puts down with a relatively fresh engine before I turbo it.

I've got a spare mani...somewhere I'll PM you if I find it.

Jim
:shock: :shock: :shock:

You sir, are a life saver. I was originally looking at aftermarket fuel rails/injectors to solve the fuel rate problem. And an inline aftermarket fuel pump. This solves all the fuel problems!!!

And since megasquirt 3 just came out with USB interface and SD Card logging, I was going to pick up one of those myself. Depending on which stage of the process I pick one up, I may datalog a stock engine before I cam it and everything else, just to pick up some hard data for a baseline on these trucks. I was actually also thinking of getting my truck running, going to a dyno shop to do a few pulls with the stock ECU to find out where the factory programming puts the torque curve and power, then comparing that to the improvements after turbo & a megasquirt. With the factory tuning so conservative, I think there's a lot of potential here.

Let me know if you unearth the mani, I'm semi-looking for one at this point.

·
Registered
192 Posts
jeremy_worden said:
hay,i found one here in a twin jy
Is it a turbo impulse? Cause if it's got the manifold & the turbo, I'd be interested in all of that + the oil cooler.

Random: Do turbo impulses have front or top mounted intercoolers?

Oh, and MadCat, I'm done hijacking your thread now, sorry. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I don't know what you're planning on doing with the inter-cooler, but if you haven't seen cronks's going to be fabricating copies of the Indonesian hood scoop.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=37981

Some people want it for looks. I want it for it's original purpose. It'll require some fabrication (because the hood crosspieces are in different places) but I want to cut a nice big hole in my hood, mount that up and have a top-mounted intercooler like the diesels. 8)

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Bob w/ a trooper said:
Cool, thanks for the info. I don't know what you're planning on doing with the inter-cooler, but if you haven't seen cronks's going to be fabricating copies of the Indonesian hood scoop.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=37981

Some people want it for looks. I want it for it's original purpose. It'll require some fabrication (because the hood crosspieces are in different places) but I want to cut a nice big hole in my hood, mount that up and have a top-mounted intercooler like the diesels. 8)
The scoop boot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are 2 slight differences with the common chambers.

1. The vacuum hose that runs underneath is missing this bolt hole:

I used a piece of punch angle and a spare bolt and nut to secure the line down:

2. One of the lines around the EGR is missing a hole:

Easily fixed with a drill and tap.

Everything else matches up nicely.

Bob w/ a trooper

Here are the slight diferences between the Trooper inj and the turbo Eclipse ones.

Nothing some creative shimming can't take care of.

Intercooler

I had originally planned to use a large FMIC from a Volvo or whatever, then decided to do a TMIC to reduce risk of trail punctures.

I'm not dead set on this set-up and could change my mind as most of this was cheap/free.

Using a T-bird Turbocoupe intercooler and hood duct with a WRX hoodscoop.

Mock-up pics:

Of course I'm always open to constructive critisism.

Jim

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Madcat88/89 said:
.....1. The vacuum hose that runs underneath is missing this bolt hole:

2. One of the lines around the EGR is missing a hole:

Easily fixed with a drill and tap.

Everything else matches up nicely.

1st I LOVE the idea of adding the Impulse turbo to a 2.6L trooper! LOVE IT! I have a few clarifying questions (because I have NO turbo experience)
With the beefed up injectors will the ECU compensate for fuel needs based off of current sensors, or will there be added wiring also?
Will the oil cooler kit from the Impulse bolt-in in place of the current oil filter mount?
Could you have swapped just the Throttle Body & MAFS rather then the common chamber/TB combo? (thinking of doing this to my troop once it runs as a cheap/easy mod, cuz it looks like a great idea)

~psguardian

1 - 20 of 60 Posts