Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after everything I've been through and now speaking with another forum member going through similar issues trying to find a GOOD machine shop, I had a semi-decent idea. (I won't say good as I don't want my head to get big!) Why don't we have a running list of machine shops that we have dealt with?

Here's how I'm thinking it would work. Each post with information about a shop should have a title like:

STATE - CITY - SHOP NAME - (NOT)RECOMMENDED

Then the body format like this:

Name of Shop
Address (if available)
Phone & Contact name (if recommended)

Reason as to why recommended or not.

Then people that are looking for a decent shop can look here to see if there's someplace known and recommended in their area.

What do you think? If nothing else can someone recommend a GOOD shop in the Southwestern Michigan/Northern Indiana area (South Bend vicinity) for another forum member?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Performance Clinic
715 N Orchard Ln.
Beavercreek

NOT RECOMMENDED: surly machinist, dropped another customers race engine in front of me, and argued with a co-worker about it. Then told me could remove a head bolt with EDM machine but needed the block to be bare. Tore it all down and had block and crank cleaned in prep. for EDM. Called and told me they didn't have an EDM machine there, the guy he outsources to went out of biz. Gave me # of another EDM place. When I picked block and crank up, they couldn't find the main caps and bolts, the block barely looked touched, and they never oiled cylinders or crank journals. Journals had surface rust or something had dripped onto them and stained them. Had to clean and polish affected journals myself with crocus cloth and had an engineer (father) inspect them. Also didn't notice until I was taking the block to EDM place for bolt removal, they had hit the block with something causing a small area of aluminum to stick up almost 1/8" on the outside mating surface just outboard of head bolt hole. Can be fixed easily, but couldn't install head like this.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
STK
Stanley Morton Machine in Broken Arrow 81st and 177th
918-640-3682

Broken Arrow is Tulsa suburb. Stanley is about 100 miles each way from me but is worth the trip. I unfortunately don't get to do business with Stanley very often as I don't need a machine shop very often. Does it right the first time every time, on or under the estimated cost and on time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Chiron said:
So after everything I've been through and now speaking with another forum member going through similar issues trying to find a GOOD machine shop, I had a semi-decent idea. (I won't say good as I don't want my head to get big!) Why don't we have a running list of machine shops that we have dealt with?
Great idea, have seen this done on a forum or two. Can help from getting notoriously bad service ~ or getting really outstanding service work done reasonably the first time around. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I'll add mine when I get to the office, but unfortunately, not too many forum members down this way.

Ernie

·
Registered
178 Posts
Q & E Machine Shop
1140 N Kraemer Blvd Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 630-5720

These guys came highly recommended from a mechanic friend who has a local shop. I've only used them once when I needed the cylinders cleaned-up on one of my ATV's but walking around the shop it was obvious that they work on just about anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.