Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the t case split from the tranny on the 2001 Rodeo? or does it come as a unit? I was always told its one unit on the m/t's but it looks like a few twists of some bolts it will pop out. I looked through a search and did not find an answer to my specific application. I can get a trans and t case at the boneyard for a good deal with somwhat low km's. km's with no hard wheeling. I'm getting a noise coming from the t case under slight load. when I take my foot off the gas the noise goes away. when I just ever so slightly add load the noise is present. When undr full load or when acceleratng the noise goes away. I think it's an output bearing that is worn. new fluid in the trans and t case.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Nope you have to take tranny apart to get tcase off of manual.

if you take the bolts out that hold it together they will not come apart w/o breaking it and then you"ll be taking tranny apart.
Sorry

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bansil. I am seriously wondering if there is an output/inut bearing on its way out in the t case or it may also be the rear pinion on the diff losing preload. The noise is not there in 4wd because I think there is load on it. but in 2wd when slightly on the gas (just enough to keep at speed) it will whine and have almost a loose bearing in race noise. I was wondering if this is the pinion bearing is not set or a t case issue. I would take the rear drive shaft off and put it in 4wd to see but in 4wd I had no noise peasent so that may not work. I think I am going to see if I can torque the pinion nut to see if I lost preload. what else can I do to pinpoint this. will a video help? I just don't want to buy a tranny and t case if it is fine.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mobile one 5w-30 full synthetic. in the tranny/ tcase.
lucas 75/90 full synth in diffs.
ams oil 10 w 30 full synth motor

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I'm not sure about the v6's but the mua5 I have has a removeable tail housng that will allow you to spin the output bearing by hand, and even replace ALL the bearings in the t-case including the output bearing. (FYI from a guy that has had the tail housing off his trans).
There is a bearing in that case that sits only half in oil and its not a sealed bearing. I would think that bearing would be the noisy one if the fluid ever went low and wore it out some. "disclaimer" my knowledge is based on the mua5. I know others are similar but I don't know in what way.

If it were me I would try lucas manual trans additive to pin point weather the worn bearing is in the t-case or in the actual tranny.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
There are no sealed bearings in the tcase.two are needle bearings and rest are good ole roller bearings.
When you say it gets quiet in 4wd ......is there a differencee in lo vs hi range noise?the roller bearing under or inside the low gear is the one that seizes up because of heat/rust/90wt etc(it "free wheels" in hi 2wd/4wd)....as for bearing noise in the tcase...I could maybe see the back middle bearing maybeeee causing noise (idler shaft) in 2wd only... but not likely.
Can you isolate the noise better?
Are our hubs actually free when. In 2wd?can you spin shafts w/o turning driveshat...you need 2 people one to holdone cv when you spin other cv

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep I lost preload on the pinion bearing. she's sloppier than a tavern wench. I was under there before I went wheelin and everything was tight. thats what 4 years of rock does haha. Hope my R&P are fine. gotta tear into her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.