Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Sags said:
Yea, you shouldn't do that again. It's bad for your truck, and dangerous too.

The binding your talking about comes from the fact that there is no central differential, like in all-wheel-drive vehicles.

When you're in 4wd (doesn't matter high or low, all that is is a gearing change) both the front and rear diff are driven at the same speed through the transmission/transfer case. But when you go around sharp corners your front wheels actually need to travel farther, but since in 4wd they are locked to the same RPM as the rear this caused the binding your talking about. This is why if you read the owners manual in any 4wd vehicle it will tell you not to run 4wd on dry asphalt or any other high traction surfaces, it can lead to dangerous understeer, and damage driveline components too.
I think you mean to say....The outside two wheels need to travel further, while the inside wheels need to travel a shorter distance....Meaning left or right side have to spin at different speeds. LSD was created for this reason, providing a better all around axle. One tire typically receives the power all time allowing the other to free spin according to the road. Until the "powered" wheel looses traction and clutches, springs, and etc...go into play spreading the power between the two wheels....Least this is how I under stand turning, and LSD's...I don't think turns typically affect wheel speed front to back, just side to side.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts