Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. I have flexed to the point where a wheel tries to lift off the ground and the depressed wheel sits and the suspended wheel spins. Well just to prove it could roast the tires for my two brothers (jeep owners) I power braked the snot out of it and surprise surprise two 20 ft lines in the street so... Could I have a worn out lsd or what would cause it to lock up under one circumstance but not the other.

By the way it's a 2002 Rodeo V6 auto 4x4. I'm sure that would help in any diagnosis. Thanks for any and all input!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Look for the G80 code on the build plate on the firewall or jack up the back with both tires off the ground and spin one, if the other spins in the same direction you have an LSD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jack up the rear end and spin one tire, if the other spins the same way its an lsd, if it spins the opposite its open. When you have it maxed out the clutches in it wont be strong enough to move the whole vehicle, especially if youre crawling it up on something

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see. It does have the G80 option. I wasn't aware it couldnt support itself though. I was always bummed thinking it was open and useless and now I'm aware I do have the lsd and it's still useless lol.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
LSD is for providing traction to both wheels in slippery conditions. Not a wheel lifted in the air conditions. The only way to get power to the ground when you have a lifted wheel is a locker.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dont do it! Lsd is very bad for your brain, and you may never come back!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
506 Posts
could changeing your fluid help with this tho? say it hasnt been done in at least 60,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Fluid won't help.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
icesluss said:
could changeing your fluid help with this tho? say it hasnt been done in at least 60,000 miles?
Fluid wont help but change your fluid

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
And make sure the new fluid has the friction modifer addititve for lsd's, it could be your diffy clutches are all gummed up, if so changing to the right fluid might help a bit.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Apeiron said:
Fluid won't help.
actually if you put the gear oil stuff with out LSD additive it will make the clutches not slip :lol: then may be just may be it might help

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
They'll still slip, but without the friction modifier they'll chatter while they do.

·
Registered
506 Posts
now i have lmost a clicking noise thats coming from the back but only when i turn and slow speeds. like in a parking lot od stull. it doesnt happen always. and when it does happen you can feel the car shimmy, i think thats the word.. all i know is you can feel it. not sure what is it. idea would make my day!!:)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
icesluss said:
now i have lmost a clicking noise thats coming from the back but only when i turn and slow speeds. like in a parking lot od stull. it doesnt happen always. and when it does happen you can feel the car shimmy, i think thats the word.. all i know is you can feel it. not sure what is it. idea would make my day!!:)
Get the LSD additive and put it in the rear diff, should clear that up.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yes, for that you can try fluid and additive.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Re: LSD or not?

Only back in the dark ages, when I was in high school. I swear.

Mr Natural was my favorite.

·
Registered
506 Posts
so you guys think i just need new fluid? i know it needs changed and if i change it you think it will go away? and what type of additive would be good. il gonna try to change it thursday when i dont have school. so i'll need to figure out what i need to buy. and how much do you lick it will cost? i know the gasket is like 8 bucks but whats fluid cost and how much? sorry for all the questions i just gotta be able to tell my dad what its gonna cost what i need and so one.. thank you

Edit: so as i was taking my final i decided that im just goning to change it when i get home today.. haha ill just pray that it fixes the problem so he wont be made (as much) but what the hell at least im doing it and he doesnt have to pay a shop. also to get the diff cover off do you anly have to undo the left bolt on the track bar? i cant get the bolt off on the right side. (the one that is attached to the frame.)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
icesluss said:
so you guys think i just need new fluid? i know it needs changed and if i change it you think it will go away? and what type of additive would be good. il gonna try to change it thursday when i dont have school. so i'll need to figure out what i need to buy. and how much do you lick it will cost? i know the gasket is like 8 bucks but whats fluid cost and how much? sorry for all the questions i just gotta be able to tell my dad what its gonna cost what i need and so one.. thank you

Edit: so as i was taking my final i decided that im just goning to change it when i get home today.. haha ill just pray that it fixes the problem so he wont be made (as much) but what the hell at least im doing it and he doesnt have to pay a shop. also to get the diff cover off do you anly have to undo the left bolt on the track bar? i cant get the bolt off on the right side. (the one that is attached to the frame.)
while youre down there I recommend you to get a few cans of brake cleaner and spray the gears until they're clean...let it dry and then put the new oil, that's the proper way to service a differential :wink:

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
An easy way to feel the resistance of a possi/LSD, while it's jacked up, put it in gear or park. Then the driveline won't allow the ring and pinion to spin. A normal open diff will easily spin the tires in opposite directions (unless broke) ....the clutches in the LSD will make rotating the tire difficult because your fighting the slippage of the clutches. It's a good way to tell how loose/worn the clutches are getting if you test this every great once in a while. A locker will click and turn usualy half a rotation and then lock, then do the same qhen you turn the other way.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Okay sounds simple. Didn't get to changing it yesterday cuz I couldn't cash my check. But hoping tomorrow I can. I got side tracked cutting my bumper in halff lol :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts