Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I would like to install an LSD in the rear differential in my 1989 Trooper. Is it possible to do it without messing with the ratios ? I want to keep the front differential stock.

Thanks in advance for any response.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Tentin for the info. I was looking for some info and found an LSD called Lokka. They are made in Australia. There is also the Aussie. By chance, can you tell me how they work, will they work the same as 3rd member with option code G80 ?

Since I will be looking for this G80 diff. , a picture of the inside would be great. Here in PR, there are a couple of yunk yards specialized on Isuzu Troopers, Amigos, etc. Maybe I will be lucky to find one of those, if not, I’ll probably buy one of those aftermarket LSD.

· Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
602 Posts
Lokka isn't a limited slip, it's a locker. Meaning you'll be dragging/chirping wheels around in parking lots, hearing clunks, etc. Much better off road, but a lot worse on the street.

I'm not sure if 1st gen amigos are 4.56. Here's a wiki that shows the different factory differentials by year

· Registered
1,321 Posts
Pretty sure in my youth when I messed with LSD, my ratios got pretty whacky. And nothing was stock ever since.
On Isuzu 12 bolts (and 10 bolts for that matter) you just have to swap the carrier around and keep the ring and pinion the same so the ratios don't change unless you want them to.

· Registered
1,321 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lokka isn't a limited slip, it's a locker. Meaning you'll be dragging/chirping wheels around in parking lots, hearing clunks, etc. Much better off road, but a lot worse on the street.

I'm not sure if 1st gen amigos are 4.56. Here's a wiki that shows the different factory differentials by year

I mostly use this Trooper for off-road. Probably a lunch box locker (ausie or lokka ) would be better than a lsd.

I’ve also read about e-lockers. Any comments regarding e-lockers are welcome.

· Registered
650 Posts
I have had a Lokka on my rig for years, front and back. If installed correctly the only thing I have noticed is the "clicking" when making turns which is normal as the unit is disengaged when that happens and not under load. It has been one of the best additions I have made for offroading. I have installed them on 2 other troopers and a jeep with the same sentiment. The important part is to make sure you have a micometer and know how to use it as the tolerances for clearance inside the unit when installed must be correct. If not then you will have issues w locking up when its not supposed to and eventual failure

Reactions: redcentinela

· Super Moderator
98 Rodeo, 4JB1-TC
3,120 Posts
Hi again. I was also thinking about Helical Worm Gear LSD. This LSD uses no clutches ( that is a
plus ) . What do you think , has anyone installed one of these Helical Worm gear LSD’ s ?
They aren't available for Isuzu as far as I know.

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Hi again. I was also thinking about Helical Worm Gear LSD. This LSD uses no clutches ( that is a
plus ) . What do you think , has anyone installed one of these Helical Worm gear LSD’ s ?
Sounds like you're talking about a torsion lsd, which like MO&G said aren't available for Isuzu. Theoretically, they would behave the same as a standard LSD with clutch packs, so I wouldn't get too hung up on their availability. They sound better on paper because there are no clutches to wear out, but I don't think they have any reputation for being any better or worse than other LSD set-ups.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you're talking about a torsion lsd, which like MO&G said aren't available for Isuzu. Theoretically, they would behave the same as a standard LSD with clutch packs, so I wouldn't get too hung up on their availability. They sound better on paper because there are no clutches to wear out, but I don't think they have any reputation for being any better or worse than other LSD set-ups.
Probably you are right. I was reading about this Torsten type LSD and for the aplication I want, it will not work. I am going to use it off-road and I read that no torque is sent to the wheels when one wheel loses contact with surface. At least, clutch type LSD will work in that situation.

· Super Moderator
98 Rodeo, 4JB1-TC
3,120 Posts
Probably you are right. I was reading about this Torsten type LSD and for the aplication I want, it will not work. I am going to use it off-road and I read that no torque is sent to the wheels when one wheel loses contact with surface. At least, clutch type LSD will work in that situation.
A clutch type LSD will not provide positive locking. If you want traction with one wheel off the ground, you need a locker not an LSD.

Reactions: MrDunge

· Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
602 Posts
My buddy installed a quality aftermarket torsen on his Toyota pickup (Nitro gear) with a very similar build to mine. Same 32" wild peaks, 3" lifts, no sway bars, and both have front lockers. We both agree the junkyard Isuzu G80 slightly outperforms the torsen. His is more likely to get stuck spinning one tire, even with the wheels on the ground.

I know you already steered away from the Torsen, just wanted to chime in with some real world experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts