Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what have you guys done to lower your radiators after you did a body lift. i only did a 1" body lift, but the fan blades still hit the bottom of the shroud. to lower the whole radiator set up, the holes don't line up. i suppose that i could cut out the center section at the bottom of the shroud so that the blade don't have any metal to hit, but would that mess anything up? namely the cooling efficiency.

thank, john

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. i understand that one can build a bracket that attaches to the body and then the radiator would screw into the bracket, but then that set-up would put the radiator that much closer to the fan.
betterthanyou, i see in other posts that you have an electric fan. was that your solution to the problem, or would you have put an electric fan in if you didn't have to modify? i'd personally like to cut out the shroud for clearance, but am i going to be OK cutting out the bottom of the shroud?

john

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I cannot remember but I do not believe the fan is that close to the rad I am sure you could move the rad closer 1/8 to 1/4 inch with no problems.

Cutting the shroud would probably be ok but you would loose some efficiency. However I don't think the effect would be nearly enough to put you in danger of overheating.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
you also can trim the radiator shroud 8) recon

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
When I did mine I just drilled new holes for the radiator to mount to. Or just pull the rad out and remove the fan shroud from the radiator. I'm sure the radiator wouldn't be as efficient, or else the manufacturer wouldn't have put it on in the first place. Likely it will still be good enough though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I did my body lift I removed the shroud and haven't put it back on. I've been running the truck in 95+ degree temps this week with no over heating issues.

Now having said that I have not been sitting in traffic where the fan would need to be drawing air through the radiator, I have been on the highway driving at speed.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not running without the shroud is not an option for me. i live in the los angeles area, so i will be subject to the stop and go traffic that we are famous for. as a matter of fact, this weekend we are having what has come to be known as "carmageddon!" it's the closure of a 10 mile stretch of the most used freeway in the US, the 405. back to the fan shroud. last night i ended up trimming off a part of the bottom section. it looks ok, but i hope it doesn't disturb the cooling efficiency.

cheers, john

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The previous owner of my Amigo installed a 3" body lift and of course ran into the same problem. Their fix was to bolt the shroud to an 1 1/2" wide piece of metal strap and drop it down the 3", using the original mounting on the radiator support on the other end of the strap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts