Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM TRYING TO LOWER MY RODEO BUT HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO LOWER THE REAR END. I HAVE ALREADY LOWERED THE FRONT BY ADJUSTING THE TORSION BAR. AND THE REAR HAS NO LEAF SPRINGS. ANY IDEAS???????????

·
Registered
377 Posts
a ******* way (serious I know a guy who did this on a car - stoopid yes) would be to jack up the rear end, take a torch to your rear coil springs getting a section red hot, then lowering the car jack to the ride height you want. Or you could cut off a ring or two.

Heck, they're only coil springs, if you mess it up just get new junk yard springs..........

or, buy my stock 2004 rear springs for cheap and I'll ship 'em to you, as I went with Old Man Emu +2" lift springs. Gives you something to play with.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
This question might be a first for this site. :D

Like Rodeo song said or another option would be to take out and cut a few coils off the coil springs. Only problem with this is they might not seat very well that way.

I'd say you'd have to do a little research to find shorter springs. Pontiac Grand Prix and Monte Carlo springs come to mind as a possible common, easily to find option.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Be careful in the rear!!!
If you lower just a few inches,you'll be on the bumpstops....if you remove the bumpstops,you could possibly have contact between the upper links and the crossmember if this is light it will just bend them,screwing up the pinion angle,if it hits the crossmemeber hard it will break the links and bad shiat could happen such as driveshaft/yoke breakage an not to mention the housing rotating....etc=bad crash.
Just putting this out to give you a heads up.
As for springs....cut them to get the ht you want and then just go to spring shop with cut down springs and have new ones made

·
Registered
26 Posts
either heat the spring or cut a coil as long as the spring doesn't taper in on the end. generally cutting a coil will give you around a half to an inch of drop. cut a half a coil, put it back together and then see how low it sits, if you want it lower, cut some more. also cutting coils increases spring rate but from my experience it isn't a noticeable change. if you cut the coil too short you might have to use wire ties to keep the coils in its seats.
if you don't feel like taking it apart just heat a section towards the end coil red hot, you'll see it drop. it will essentially make the loop a "dead" coil, basically the same effect as cutting a coil off.
don't be afraid to do either of these things even though alot of people will claim its dangerous.
i've had 2 camaros with cut coils, a 67 chevy with heated coils, a 82 s-10 with cut coils, and a 81 bmw with cut and heated coils. never once had a problem and they all were daily drivers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
cronk said:
This question might be a first for this site. :D

Like Rodeo song said or another option would be to take out and cut a few coils off the coil springs. Only problem with this is they might not seat very well that way.

I'd say you'd have to do a little research to find shorter springs. Pontiac Grand Prix and Monte Carlo springs come to mind as a possible common, easily to find option.
the grand prix/monte carlo/impala springs are COMPLETELY different. Their extremely huge in width, and very tall but weak in spring strength.

·
Registered
292 Posts
careful removing a lot in the rear, it will cause to bump on the diff every time you have a hard compression. Highly recommended to stiffer the springs with some inside airbags or something similar to level out the "jello" feeling on the rear suspension.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Rodeo Song said:
a ******* way (serious I know a guy who did this on a car - stoopid yes) would be to jack up the rear end, take a torch to your rear coil springs getting a section red hot, then lowering the car jack to the ride height you want. Or you could cut off a ring or two.

Heck, they're only coil springs, if you mess it up just get new junk yard springs..........

or, buy my stock 2004 rear springs for cheap and I'll ship 'em to you, as I went with Old Man Emu +2" lift springs. Gives you something to play with.
Wait,theres a ******* way to LOWER your truck? Im just sayin...

·
Registered
556 Posts
mallen said:
Rodeo Song said:

Wait,theres a ******* way to LOWER your truck? Im just sayin...
HAHAHAHAHA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.