Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i cleaned up the shop today, i found these and wanted to ask:

on the lower shock mount of the front, there comes a 1" long steel tube that goes over the stud itself, and inside the bottom mount of the shock, inside the rubber. this was okay.

but in the rear, the shock stud itself was too thick for the metal shafts. they would fit in the shock itself, but then it wouldn't fit over the lower mount stud.

how crucial are these sleeves? i fear that the rubber on metal will just erode the rubber. did i get the wrong sleeves? is it common for the studs to be too thick tio accomodate the sleeves? do i need to worry about this??

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I dont remember sleeves coming with mine for the rear. (ProComp ES-3000s)

The fronts had the sleeves. I remember because they were about 1/16th of a inch too long & I had to trim them abit so they would fit in the mounting bracket.

Jim

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you've had no issues with the lower rear mounts with no sleeves?

mine cam with 4 sleeves, maybe just extra front ones? i dunno..it always worries me when there is parts left over! :shock:

·
Registered
16 Posts
How tight are the shocks on the mounting studs if you don't use the sleaves? If they are snug then I wouldn't worry about it, if there's play then you'll probably need different sleaves.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not, its not, loose. the stud itself is almost exactly the outside dimension of the sleeve

okay. worry is fading

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
RodeoRed said:
so you've had no issues with the lower rear mounts with no sleeves?

mine cam with 4 sleeves, maybe just extra front ones? i dunno..it always worries me when there is parts left over! :shock:
Nope, no issues

IIRC the my fronts came with two sleeves each.

The inside diameter was a little different.

I just assumed one was for metric & the other for U.S.

I do know neither would fit the rears. :wink:

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found this thread because I'm having a similar problem; maybe you guys can pipe in. I replaced my front shocks the other day - no issues and waaaay better ride. Today the old rear shocks came off and it seems the sleeve is stuck on the stud. I recently moved into an apartment in TN and left all my real tools at Mom and Dad's in VA. I don't even have a decent Vice grip. Hate to go buy a torch when I have Oxy-cetaline rig at home, so I break out the Dremel grinder and try to cut the sleeve length wise. this isnt working and I am starting to second guess myself that maybe the stud has such a shoulder, although the old shock is missing the steel sleeve that is clearly in the new shock waiting to go on. It is frustrating not being able to find any pics of the bolt - My bike (BMW R1100GS) has schematics and super detailed diagrams online showing every nut and bolt.

So tell me what to do here. Go buy another set of vice grips and torch, or take the shocks back and tell them they gave me the wrong set?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Pop the sleeve out of the shocks. Should at least work until you get your tools and can be sure if its a stuck sleeve or just the stud. My Ranchos wouldnt fit with any of the provided sleeves. Did have one old sleeve stuck on one of the studs on one of the rodeos I helped with but a quick twist with vice grips pulled it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem: I was sold the wrong shocks. It might have something to do with the fact that my Trooper is an 87 and they changed a lot of stuff mid-year. Anyhoo, all that grinding on what I thought was a stuck sleeve was actually on the thick stud. I returned the new shocks and they found another set without the sleeve and they were a perfect fit over the stud. Problem now is I don't know what vehicle these new ones are actually specced out for, and they seem a bit whimpy and bouncy. Wish I had gone with Ranchos.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Shocks are not built for one specific vehicle model- at least not at the price you paid for them. Same with wiper blades- think how many different mounting options come in the packge. I have found that Troopers & Ford trucks often use the same shocks in different applications, there are very likely other vehicles that use the same shock, it stands to reason they might not all have the same diameter mounting stud, so it's use the sleeve if needed- or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts