Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought that Rodeo I posted about earlier. 113,000 miles, for $2900. Runs good, plenty of power, and the trans seems smooth. It has a constant slight tap, sounds like the lifter problem. In a few weeks we will be doing the t belt, tensioner, and water pump.

When I bought it two days ago, it was low on oil. I put about 2 quarts in it, and it was back on the stick. I am going to get the oil changed tommorow. I am going to take it somewhere, because our garage doesn't have heat yet (But that will be done Monday! :-> ). I plan to put some seafoam in it, then do the 5 minute drive to the place to change the oil. Does that sound OK? What kinda of oil should I have them put in? I was thinking of 0w-30...

My main question is oil pressure. The gauge is weird. Sometimes its like around 15 while sitting at a stop sign, sometimes its as low as 5, and close to zero. As soon as you give it gas, it jumps up to about 30, and will sometimes go a little higher. Seems to run just fine, could prolly use a tune up. Is this safe, or am I just a paranoid new parent? This thing has a 3 month 3,000 mile warranty, so if its gonna go I want it to go in that time frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you hear a tapping noise and your oil pressure is dropping then restriction of oil flow is the problem. More than likely the oil pump screen or the oil pump valves are getting plugged.

Changing oil and new oil filter might fix the problem.

I have saved my relatives vehicles from unnecessary replacement of the oil pump by using either a gunk motor flush in addition to the oil and run it for 5 minutes to dissolve any oil debris and then change oil. Some of friends and mechanics uses 1 quart of transmission fluid (lots of detergent) (of course you drain 1 quart of oil before putting 1 quart of transmission fluide). Drive the vehicle for 15 minutes and drain the oil and put filter. This procedure fixes a lot of problem. If you asked some random mechanic or big car repair shop mechanic, they will tell you that tapping noise probably needs a new engine.

Sometimes trying to use gunk motor flush or transmission fluid to flush debris does not help at all. I end up on removing the oil pump and oil pump filter screen and the oil pan cleaned of heavy sludge which just drain the oil does not accomplish it. So far this steps have saved the vehicle I worked on from having a new engine replaced. Again, I repaired my relatives/friends vehicle at no charge because I'm tired of them getting ripped off and told to have the engine replaced without doing much of thorough diagnosis.

However, I come to realize that most common problem of getting plugged oil pump because they are not following the 3,000 miles oil change schedule. I have to chew them up for not following the 3,000 miles oil change schedule and explain to them what happens to the oil when the oil suffers black death. I told them that oil suffers from black death does not turn to some harmless fluid but they hardened turns to clumps, mechanical are not lubed and so metal scrapes, oil clogs, and oil starvation and so forth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.