Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an idea how expensive lower balljoints are for a 95 trooper? Also does the replacemnet joint need to be pressed into the plate that bolts to the A-arm or does the new one come with this plate?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I don't know the cost, but you can price them from Isuzu (St. Charles) or from an online parts store (hint: click the link at the bottom of this page). Installation isn't hard, but it will take some time. The ball joint does press into the spindle at the bottom. You will need to remove:

Outer tie rod end
Brake Caliper
Hub (manual, hub flange or automatic), up to and including the c-clip.
The Upper ball joint has to be separated.
ABS sensor
Then the lower ball joint can be unbolted. The spindle will then come off of the truck, leaving the CV shaft in the vehicle.

The lower ball joint will now come out. You have to remove the CV shaft in order to get the ball joint out of the spindle.

-Tad

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is a way to remove the lower ball joint without removing any other parts. Just remove the large castle nut off the lower BJ. then seperate the ball joint from the plate with a sledge hammer. Then remove the 4 bolts that attach the plate to the underside of the lower control arm. now the ball joint is off.

To get the new one back in, put a floor jack under the lower control arm, then jack up the control arm till its close enough to bolt back up.

I have spent HOURS AND HOURS under the front of my trooper in the last few days. I shattered the spider gears inside the differental and had to replace them. I got a new 3rd member and axle tube and installed it over night recently. I actually stayed up till 6am putting my front suspension back on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I shattered the spider gears inside the differental and had to replace them
:shock: How did you accomplish that??? What size tires you running?

seperate the ball joint from the plate with a sledge hammer
So you smashed the balljoint off of its mount? I dunno, that doesn't seem easier than doing it the regular way Tad described...I've done both my lowers, they were about $50 from advance auto, and took like 2 hours. (on a rodeo)

mike
________
Suzuki an400

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not sure about the late model Trooper parts, but the ball joints that I replaced on my '86 Trooper came with a new plate. Unbolt and bolt new ones in place. No pressing required. These were aftermarket, Japanese parts.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
my Rodeo i changed both lowers, they are not pressed in like bearings or something in that effect. Tad meant , they are pressed in my turning the castle nut down, usually with an impact gun and they press snuggly into the spindle. you can get away with just taking the tire off and putting the truck on jackstands on the frame and loosening the castle nut and iether hitting the edge of the spindle next to the ball joint (vibration usually pops the ball joint loose or hit the lower control arm and hope it comes loose. The pressure of the torsiopn bar will help. Then unbolt the lower ball joint from the control arms and put the new one on and use a jack to bring the lower control arm up to spindle and guide the ball joint shaft thru the spindle and get the castle nut onto the threads and button everything up
good luck. I got a set of lower ball joints for 40.00 /pair + shipping off ebay. Make sure you get greasable ones

Ron

·
Registered
416 Posts
I must emphasize the part about LOOSENING the castle nut befoer trying this!

If you remove the nut and rely on the torsion bar to "pop" the spindle from the ball joint shaft you are going to get seriously injured.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
yes yes yes, loosen. You can put a jack under the lower control arm also and have it about 1/4" off the arm. The tension on the torsion bars shouldnt be enough to pop it off, usually a 5lb hammer is needed to "massage" the spindle off the ball joint. Just need to LOOSEN the castle nut about 3 turns to give it room to move. Thanks for mentioning that you should LOOSEN the castle nut, not fully remove until you are ready to remove the spindle from it with the proper support on the lower control arm

Ron

·
Registered
54 Posts
cruiserman said:
I'm not sure about the late model Trooper parts, but the ball joints that I replaced on my '86 Trooper came with a new plate. Unbolt and bolt new ones in place. No pressing required. These were aftermarket, Japanese parts.
Yup. Same here. High qualilty 555 parts in a Moog box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts