Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of (trying) to replace my lower ball joints. I managed to pop the lower ball joint. However, I can't shimmy the old ball joint out of the A-arm. My father and I tried everything. We popped the clip off the CV so it can float in and out. We also took off the tie rod so it can swivel freely. We're absolutely stumped. Just doesn't seem like we can get enough movement to free the old ball joint from inside the lower A-arm.

Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You might have to pop the upper ball joint loose and remove the hub/spindle assembly. You would need to remove the 4x hub accessing the outer c clip and the whole assembly would remove at that point, brake caliper would be laid off to the side.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured as much. Just seems like I can't get enough of an angle to pull it off. What a pain this is.

So you're saying:

1) Remove the hub assembly (all that's holding it on now is the caliper bracket). I have super winch hubs which I pulled off and removed the c-clip.
2) Pop the upper ball joint

But then you're saying actually remove the WHOLE spindle? At that point I should have enough wiggle room, no?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If I remember correctly when I did mine was remove the tie rod end, pulled out upper ball joint (was doing it at the same time) and pulled the axle out part way. Kind of a pain. I would anti-seize everything when you put it together.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
It's not to much more really. Just the upper ball joint and caliper. The rotor and all will be one big mass... As long as you have help it should go fairly quick. I usually separate ball joints by cracking the side of the ear/bore where the tie rod or ball joint goes through. It saves the boots and comes apart usually with a few good hammer blows.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The irony of this all is that I managed to get the lower ball joint popped without much of a problem. I put a 12 ton hydraulic jack under the bolt with the nut threaded on. Lowered all the weight onto the nut (with jack stands under the frame of course) and it popped off with 3-4 shots from a pickle fork.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Ya lol !!! It's kinda like that sometimes. Now would be a good time to check the cv's and boots. That would really suck !!!
It'll make for a good storie some day I hope...

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Popping the upper one out makes a big difference. I tried to do my lowers without doing that once and it was a HUGE pain. Helps a little to put a jack under the lower arm to level it out some. With cranked torsion bars for a lift it doesnt really make that much difference though so didnt help me much.

I need to do my lowers again one of these days. This thing eats lower joint boots.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I wonder if you could degree shim the lower balljoint so it's flatter and not so bound for a lift ??? That's one thing I've never seen addressed....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did them last night. Bought the uppers today and replacing them tonight. Once I popped the upper off it was cake.

Wasn't a hard job but after 3 hours everything begins to blur together. At least now the only left to be replaced on my front end are sway bar links and bushings.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Cool !!! Glad to hear things finally went your way !!! You can get slot removed by just popping the upper ball joint at times.
Gizmo my 99 amigo chassi is the same way (sandwiched) !!! If a person made a filler piece and relocated the balljoint mount above or below the A arm you could play with shims I think. Not sure if it would be a worth while experiment or not....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts