Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forumand need help regarding the flashing low fuel warning on my 99 Rodeo. I disconnected the battery to reset this but it didn't help.

What do I do?

·
Registered
416 Posts
The flashing light happens when the gauge is reading an exceptionally low fuel level. It happened on the time on mine when I had a broken sender. After I fixed it, it doesn't happen anymore.

·
Registered
40 Posts
vinroc said:
Definitely a bad fuel level sending unit! VERY common problem with these!
Yeah, i have this issue too. It's annoying, and hardly worth the 150 bucks for the sending unit, plus time to install it. I pulled out my dash cluster, popped out the low fuel bulb, and now i just hit the trip meter reset every fillup. This does 2 things. helps me keep a good eye on fuel usage (which i now track in my Palm OS device (sony Clie) and it works pretty darn good as a hillbilly fuel guage.

On a good fillup, i get about 225 before i hit the gas pumps again, and at this point i put in ~14 gallons. This leaves a 3 gallon buffer (17.5 gal tank).

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can fix it yourself for free. That's what I did

Not the most pleasant of things to do, and potentially dangerous, but if you don't mind dropping the fuel tank it takes only a little while to do it.

NO SMOKING, WELL VENTILATED ENVIRONMENT!!!

Disconnect the battery whatever you do. This is not a step by step guide. Get a service manual! I'm just trying to give you a gauge of how tough it might be.

Basically drain the tank, depressurize the lines, remove all the hoses, carefully support the tank and then drop it.

Clean the tank top like there was no tomorrow and then remove the fuel pump/sender unit.

Proceed to clean the inside of the tank out (suprising how dirty it gets) and definitely clean out the strainer on the fuel pump.

Now remove the sender/float from the side of the pump and remove the circuit board from inside the sender. There are some very fragile plastic tabs holding it in place. BE VERY GENTLE AND USE TWEEZERS.

There are two metal fingers attached the the float that hover over the circuit board. They will be worn such that they no longer can reach the cicuit board. All you need to do is VERY GENTLY bend them downward so that they can reach again and then proceed to reassamble the whole mess.

That's it!

Take your time and use common sense. Fuel vapors are EXPLOSIVE and DEADLY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like I could DIY. Is yhere another way to fix this? In the old days, they have a hole at rear (trunk) which you can pop open to get the sending unit. If I remove the rear carpet right on top of the gas tank, do you guys think that there is an access hole to get the unit?
:cry: (just trying an easier way)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.