Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently become the second owner of a 1990 Trooper with 154K miles. I'm really stoked and loving this thing! It runs like a sewing machine. It has the 2.6 four, backed by the 5 speed.
I have a lot of cleaning and maintenance to do since the lil truck sat outside for quite a few years, basically unused, but overall it's in fantastic shape. We are looking forward to a few (mild) offroad adventures in our new Trooper! I'm hoping this board will be a great place for help with vehicle issues, parts sources and upgrade ideas.
Tom

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,175 Posts
Welcome to our forum. Take time to join in on the discussions, and maybe start a build thread in the members rides section along with pictures. If your a newcomer to the Isuzu's, I'll just mention probably the 2 biggest things that can cause problems.
1. First is the valves have to be adjusted every 15 to 20 thousand miles. If this is ignored you will be sure to eventually have burnt valves.
2. Would be head gasket failure. These, almost always are preceded by engine over heating. So pay attention to any problems you see such as the temp gauge starting to read somewhat higher than you usually see. catch these problems early cause once the engine overheats it most times is to late. Good luck with your new Isuzu, you live in a beautiful area to enjoy it. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks itsmehb! And I appreciate the advice regarding overheating. I only have two issues with this rig; the temp and fuel gauges are not operational and I'm trying to figure out what the cause could be. I have another thread going on regarding those gauges...hoping someone with electrical knowhow will chime in to help me figure out what's up. The temp, fuel and the oil pressure (which does work) gauges are the only ones that matter to me.

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,713 Posts
Tom,

Welcome to the site. I had a son in Salem until just a few months ago. He and his wife just moved to Klamath Falls. But he sends me pics of just about every P'up and Trooper he sees.

Jack

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Since you have a 1990, you should have a good head casting (1988/late 1987 was the first year for the 2.6). If you feel behind the head with your hand, there's a number cast into the head, it might be a 3 or 4, this is casting revision number. The earlier versions had cast imperfections making them prone to cracking. That said, as itsmehb alluded to, it's actually a good idea to pull the head, check the planing, valve adjustment, new head gasket, head bolt torquing, and anything else that can be cleaned up and 'zero' the head for piece of mind. Good luck with the Trooper! The 2.6 is pretty stout motor in the bottom end so attention to regular oil changes and you should be good to go. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts