Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, not every time, I hear a loud clicking noise when I crank the engine in my 2000 Isuzu Trooper. Most times the clicking noise is on cold startup. Does not happen every time I crank the engine. About a minute later, the clicking subsides. After running there is a very faint clicking sound.

What do you think is the reason?

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valves adjusted? To be sure, its a 2000 Trooper 3.5L V6. I thought this engine had hydraulic valves. I know very little about engines.

Carl

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Does it start and then idle very smoothly? If not it may be a collapsed motor mount or that the safety hook on the mount itself is hitting the counterpart to it.

I had this same trouble when I replaced a motor mount, and it just hit all the time when I first started it. I finally bent it outta the way.

Other than that, look for the exhaust system striking somewhere - there are some rubber isolators that support the exhaust system, and if one's broken, then the pipe can hit the frame.

If you've got an automatic transmission, shift from forward to reverse and back a few times try to see if the noise happens then.

Let me add something else - but first a question. Is this an automatic transmission?

If so, you might have a cracked or broken flex plate or possibly some loose convertor bolts.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its Automatic. The clicking sound sounds like its coming from the Engine. One mechanic said it was a bad rod bearing, another said no and said it might be valves or timing belt tensioner. How does one diagnose something like this? I'd hate to replace something and not solve the problem.

Carl

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
You have to home in on the sound.

A mechanic's stethoscope for $1.99 at Harbor Freight will do.

Just replacing parts until the noise goes away is a dealer's option, for a so-called factory tech with unlimited parts on the shelves.

One should not want to spend buckets of money on a snipe hunt.

Diagnose, then fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts