Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sure looks like I have to remove the entire front differential in order to get this 4:77 pumpkin out of this RS. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from everything I'm seeing the pumpkin won't come out without the axles out and the axles won't come out until the whole front end is removed. This is not encouraging news. Ok, back outside, I'll check back in a while. Please post and let me know if this is correct. Thanks

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
All the thers I've ress about locker installs & gear swaps/carrier swaps have included dropping the center section so you can remove the shafts from the third.

I think you can leave the CVs in place, just have to sacrifice the inner boots.

~psguardian

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well it's out now. Had to remove both front hubs and front axles. Even then it won't come out, it's bound on the front lower control arms. I unbolted the front diff mounts so that the inner axles were loos and I was able to pry out the passenger's side. and it came down. This is obvoiously not how you would install it... the only way I see is to remove at least one lower control arm. I'm open for any suggestions as I'll be putting some stock gearing back in this thing.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The axles have to be pulled out at least 4" or so to remove the third member. So yes, you basically have to drop the whole front axle for this to happen.

I've never had to remove a control arm. If you want to remove the whole works at once, once you have the diff brackets unbolted from the frame (and driveshaft unbolted of course) you should be able to slide the axle assembly to the passenger side enough for the drivers side CV to fall out of the control arms, then drop the assembly down (recommend two people for this operation) and out of the passenger side.

Or, I have also been able to pull the CVs with diff brackets out through the control arms, if the shocks are removed. I have even done this with diff drop brackets.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, cool.... I didn't unbolt the shocks or sway bar linkage. I wasn't able to get the axles out because the mounting brackets were all hung up on everything all the time. I ended up prying the whole assembly to the driver's side and forcing the short side axle out... it worked, but would not be a good plan for putting one in. It was hard enough when I had gravity on my side. Trying to do that maneuver in reverse could get really ugly. I looked at trying to remove the brackets from the inner axle shaft, but couldn't figure out how they come off. Looks like it must be snap rongs, but I didn't have the room to deal with that kind of stuff in such a tight spot. I figured there must be a thread on here somehwere that shows exactly how to remove and install a front diff, but I couldn't find one. Anybody? Beuller?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember being able to pop the upper ball joints undo the axles unplug the passenger side short one work it down and then slide it out to the passenger side unplugging the long axle?? I think that's how I did it... Your wanting to do a gear swap anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts