Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so... what Im looking for is rubber with an IRHD of something similar to a hockey puck. I need it 4 inches high and 6x6 on width. and I have no idea to buy something of this size. or even where to find it. if i could id just melt down a bunch of hockey pucks and use some wax paper and 2x4s and shape it. but I don't much trust myself melting hockey pucks down. What im trying to do is build blocks to sit between my springs and the body of my trooper. I put longer shocks on and when I ordered springs from old man emu I assumed they were longer as well. long story short under full flex my springs will just fall off. my plan is to turn the bottom of the block down to a diameter that will fit inside the spring and the top of the block to fit inside the hole where the springs rest against the body. while leaving 2" of space from the actually top of the spring to the body of my trooper. I live in ogden ut. If anyone knows where I can find a material like this or even order that would be awesome thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Are you trying to lift it more? If not you could just buy spring retainers to hold them in. EDIT it looks like you are lifting more. Why not buy spacers. Also, I've seen on here where people uilt their own spacers so do a search on that. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I dont want more lift , but if it happens so be it. What I want is so when im in full flex the spring doesnt fall out on the opposite side there is 2 inches of play when its in flex so the spring can just flop off.I think Retainers would break after the first few flexes. And so far I have not seen a spacer I think would work

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It'd be interesting if you could get something like this and add grease fittings, end up with something sort of like a poly, greasable sway bar bushing type concept but for your springs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
airborne20 said:
Jd your my hero for this site. stusvend I dont know if i catch your drift. Why would i want it greased?
Well your basically talking about a bushing for your springs. It's a cool idea too but people always prefer a greasable bushing if possible. Just an idea.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually, you can use those for the top of your coils as well. Check out that site a little more. They sell those retainers with upper coil buckets.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
autozone sell the spring spacers that you cut down to size, those plus the spring retainers should take care of your issue

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
airborne20 said:
this would work great. but im concerned about the top of the spring falling. if i secured the bottom and upon comming back down. would it land back in the housing for the top of the spirng?
Probably not. I've got the same problem as you, but I've kept my coils from falling out by building this.

I took two traffic cones and cut the tops off of them, then attached them to the bottom perches with a long bolt on each side. It keeps the coil from falling out, but it doesn't seat properly on the top perch when you come back down. The bad thing about putting something like this on top is that there isn't a good way to attach it to the body. I am thinking about making a bracket that could secure the top of the spring to the body, like this. (excuse my ghetto MS skills)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Maybe I take things too seriously but......why not look for a spring of correct diameter and spring rate that is.....TALLER.

Otherwise they sell limiter straps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes but a flex limitation strap is counter productive to what im trying to accomplish. and I already spent alot of money on these springs. (well for a 20 year old college kid.) If I can just use my unit's lathe to build something id rather do that. plus I kinda like fabricating things I find it rewarding.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah and I see your point. honestly the smart thing to do is get those straps. but I think im going to do what hatfield's done to his rig looks like it works and is simple. just need to find some construction cones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.