Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards as you can tell.
I am in the process of buying an SUV which will serve double
duty as both my daily transportation and will have the fun task of towing
my race car (4000lbs with trailer).
I have been researching my options over the past couple of
days and the Trooper wasn't even on my list of trucks
to look at... Originally I was planning on an Xterra, 4Runner,
Pathfinder, possibly a Grand Cherokee or ML320.
Until I remembered about the good ol' Trooper, which
has more room that the forementioned SUVs and isn't quite as
pricey.

What I was wondering is how is the reliability on the 2001s etc etc.
From what I have read, they seem to be fairly good with only a few
problems (IM gasket leaking, trans).

The particular car I am looking at has 77K miles and the asking price is
$11K from a Nissan dealership. It looks to be in good condition, but
I have not driven it yet... will do that tomorrow.
I just wanted to know what to look for and what to watch out for.
Please dont' be too harsh on me for not searching enough.
Thank you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
As you've seen, you do get a lot of truck for the $ with a trooper. A comparable yota, nissan or MB would cost you quite a bit more. Like buying any used vehicle, look it over as best you can, drive it in varied conditions, test everything on it, etc.. Is this a 4x4? what options?
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JTK said:
As you've seen, you do get a lot of truck for the $ with a trooper. A comparable yota, nissan or MB would cost you quite a bit more. Like buying any used vehicle, look it over as best you can, drive it in varied conditions, test everything on it, etc.. Is this a 4x4? what options?
G/luck
Joel
It's a 2001 Limited with stupid TOD 4X4 with the tow package.
I just drove it this morning alongside a 2001 Xterra with 1/2 the miles
and was blown away by how much better the Pooper felt. The only thing is, the seat doesn't really move back all that much unfortunately and being 6'1, it's not the most comfortable thing.
Also I will be getting an extended drivetrain warranty with it, so that should be fine.
I think that I will pick it up tomorrow afternoon, and will go drive it again tonight and put a deposit down.
I will also try to get some pics of the truck up by tonight.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thats funny that you think its uncomfortable. I'm 6'6" with most of it being legs, and I had plenty of room in my 1993.

And that "stupid" TOD thing aint so bad. On the VX its actually really damn cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TroopTad said:
Thats funny that you think its uncomfortable. I'm 6'6" with most of it being legs, and I had plenty of room in my 1993.

And that "stupid" TOD thing aint so bad. On the VX its actually really damn cool.
Hmmmm, your legs must be up in your chest then, because I'm used to sitting further back in my daily drivers.

Well I bought it, and will be picking it up tomorrow.
About the TOD, from what I've read it seems to be a pain
in the butt and has a good chance to break down.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Good luck with the new ride EP3_. The comfort/leg room thing all boils down to what you are used to. My rodeo isn't the most roomy thing up front either, but it's still comfortable for my family of 4. I wouldnt worry too much about your TOD. Probably the most problematic part of TOD is keeping your wheel speed sensors clean & functioning. Be sure to check your engine oil ATLEAST weekly until you work yourself into a pattern/routine. Be prepared for fuel mileage in the high teens as well :shock: :cry:.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JTK said:
Good luck with the new ride EP3_. The comfort/leg room thing all boils down to what you are used to. My rodeo isn't the most roomy thing up front either, but it's still comfortable for my family of 4. I wouldnt worry too much about your TOD. Probably the most problematic part of TOD is keeping your wheel speed sensors clean & functioning. Be sure to check your engine oil ATLEAST weekly until you work yourself into a pattern/routine. Be prepared for fuel mileage in the high teens as well :shock: :cry:.
G/luck
Joel
Hey, thanks for your reply.
I picked the thing up today. It's pretty nice. It seems to be in
pretty much perfect condition from what I can tell. The interior
looks brand new and everything seems to work.
I took a few pictures, but they are horrible due to it
being dark out.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
If you plan to tow a 4000 lb trailer on any kind of regular basis I'd highly recomend you install a tranny cooler. I'd also recommend a set of the OME (old man emu) springs for the rear. They make a set that will give you a nice progressive rate that will keep the back of the Pooper (as you called it) from squatting and looking like it's going to poop.

These are for if you plan to tow on a regular basis. It will make the towing much easier. And make your tranny live a longer life.

Nice buy, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigpoppax2 said:
If you plan to tow a 4000 lb trailer on any kind of regular basis I'd highly recomend you install a tranny cooler. I'd also recommend a set of the OME (old man emu) springs for the rear. They make a set that will give you a nice progressive rate that will keep the back of the Pooper (as you called it) from squatting and looking like it's going to poop.

These are for if you plan to tow on a regular basis. It will make the towing much easier. And make your tranny live a longer life.

Nice buy, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Joe
Thanks for the advice, I will do that for sure as I will be towing
almost every weekend.
Do you have any recommendations as to which oil cooler to
purchase? Also, this vehicle will be my daily driver so I would rather
not make the ride any worse than it has to be by adding stiffer springs.
Also, why wouldn't I just get the shock/sping combo all around?
Please help me out as I am a noob at SUVs and towing.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would say a set of OME 919s( I have them), are a pretty good bet, you will sit about 1.5 inches higher in the back, but being progressive, they will still ridfe really well....not stiff, but it will firm up a little..adn since you are gonna tow, I would DEFINATELY recommend a set of Nitro shocks, Either the OMEs, Procomps, whatever...for the rear, those will make it ride firmer as well, maybe even a little on the harsh side, but they will be the best(Nitros), for towing, and hauling a heavey load... you said a race car, you running a closed 20 footer, Haulmark, what? I wont b/s you, becuase of the distancxes, we use duallys for this, though I have towed an open with my 00 rodeo...wasnt all that bad, but after towing with a dually....well...

You can adjust the ride height in the front, BUT,,wait till you upgrade you rear srpings, adn then hook you you trailer, check the trcuks stance, you want it to still have a slight forward rake with the trailer, to accomadate gear, crew etc, I think about a 1/2 inch with the trailer, would be about perfect..(measured wheel well, to wheel well, front to rear)....

Hope that gerts ya started...

Chase

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks for the response Chase. I'm grateful for your input.
The only problem is that this is my Daily Driven vehicle....
so a harsher ride isn't something that I'm looking for.
What would the negative outcome be if I keep the stock
spring/shock combo...other than the obvious wear issues.
Also does anyone have a recommendation for an oil cooler?
How important is it to have one for all highway towing?

Just to clarify this will be an open trailer that I will be towing to events
about every 2-3 weeks apart during the summer.

Here are a few more pics of the truck today (dirty due crap weather).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.