Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything I should look out for? Any particular model year preferred over another. I would buy an older one too I just figure i have around $10K to spend and usually the newer models are better. any leads on trucks near middle Georgia? Thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
Get a 95-97. They have most of the coptions, abd 3.2 engines seems to last a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You'll find a difference of opinion on that. If I was shopping, I'd get a 98-02. To each their own though. Really the only thing to look out for in the 3.5 engine is excessive oil consumption. You can find one with the later 3.5 that doesn't even have that problem by pulling up on the plastic engine cover on the driver's side. If the PCV valve screws into the valve cover, it's updated. If the PCV valve is just pressed into a rubber gromet, it's the earlier design.

-Tad

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd also recommend 95-97, preferably '97, because I've had 2 of them and their reliability has been flawless. I actually like the way the '97 drives better than my '99. My .02.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 99 has ran perfectly the three years we've had it. I think we paid 10k back in 02. Only problems we've had was a bad fuel injector to the tune of $800. Loose egr nut and slight oil consumption are my only other complaints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is exactly what I was looking for. The truck I was trying to buy is a 2000 model with 65,000 miles. I am too concerned about the engine and its oil problems to really consider a Trooper now. A real bummer because I love the way these look and the fact that you don't see one every day here. I guess a 4Runner or Pathfinder or maybe an older LandCruiser is what I will start looking for now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i would still go for the troop i think. They have more room than a pathfinder of 4runner and get better fuel millage than a cruiser. Just check your oil all the time and it will become habbit and you wont even notice it after a while.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Saying that all 98-2002 Troopers will experience engine failure is like saying that all 88-91 Troopers will blow head gaskets, only worse. Yes, some 3.5 engines have and will fail. No it isn't all of them. The reason that you read so much about that is that the first thing that anyone who looses an engine does is post about it online. I'd do the same thing. The truth is that there are thousands of those engines that won't ever have a problem.

If it really worries you, budget $5k on an engine replacement. I bet you can still find a 2001 Trooper for less than a comparable Land Cruiser even with that money budgeted in.

-Tad (currently two 3.5 V6s in the family)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey, is the PCV valve blue, if so, I have the earlier engine.
Heres the real question, CAN I REPLACE it with the later one?
Help me out here guys, Ive had it a week.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I'm told that the difference in PCV valve is that the updated engines have a screw in PCV valve. The original 3.5 has a press in valve. It isn't the PCV valve itself that causes the problem, but the type of valve indicates which version of the engine you have.

-Tad

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think I have to older one. But Ive been checking the oil every morning and havent seen any oil consumption. Did put the high mileage oil in at change. was worried about having a leak when the guy at wally world said it was about a half quart low. I had a 99 rodeo with the same engine and never noticed anything like that. Wonder what the deal is? and if theres anything to correct it? If you got a solution, let me know and ill implement it. I love this thing, and dont wanna loose it.
BTW its got 76000 on it. Runs great and is really COMFORTABLE> compared even to the LS rodeo I had earlier. What happened to isuzu, and their dependability? Sounds like they are on their way to being a GM...

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but many of the (few) reports of blown engines stated that the engine lost 4 quarts of oil in 1000-1500 miles. If you were to check it at every fillup (~300 miles) you should have pleanty of a safety margin should it start to use the oil at a rapid pace.

-Tad

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine was losing more oil than that, enough to have a problem on the range of a fillup. New motor from the dealer took care of that.

Funny the excuses that people give for this crap, especially when they don't have an oil-burning rig :roll:.

Macondawg, My 2000 Trooper is for sale, new motor and all. I'm across the country from you, assuming you're in GA. PM me if you're interested.

Eric

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.