Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone broke into my Trooper… aaaah Portland, Oregon. Progressive gets back to me with an estimate that requires that someone (me?) spend their valuable time looking for steering column parts, glovebox latches, etc. I didn’t realize that I had purchased the DIY policy.
What I need is some realistic estimates to give back to Flo.
Right now I am using Japanese Auto Repair. I LOVE JOHN, he’s the best in the biz. But I need another estimate.
I’m wondering if I can get an estimate from Washington (Up to Seattle) by emailing them the photos of the damage.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

Hood Motor vehicle Grey Automotive tire Floor

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Why do you need more estimates? If they don't get you satisfactory results within a week, file a complaint with the Department of Insurance. This isn't some toothless BS like a complaint to the Better Business Bureau that does nothing. Every DOI complaint is taken very seriously and will be investigated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You might contact another Isuzu forum person “Selahdor”. He has posted two Troopers for free. Maybe he will donate to your cause. Eric

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is not going likely be fun or easy.

Estimates are going to be difficult with no dealerships and commercially available parts. I would probably demand they total it for fair market value (use classifieds for valuation estimate and something like the Hagerty valuation) and buy it back for the salvage value and then park it while you sort out locating parts, etc. assuming this is a vehicle you "love." You could perhaps buy a whole parts trooper with a portion of the insurance proceeds and get it fixed as you are able. If this specific trooper isn't your one true love, or you just need transportation, just buy a different one with the insurance proceeds.

Also, find out whatever your applicable insurance bad faith statute is and send them a demand pursuant to that for the full value of the truck. Certified mail is usually required. That usually triggers a 60 day clock in most states for resolving the claim. Then you can always take them to small claims court if they don't pay within that timeframe and they will have to pay a statutory penalty.

Just my .02.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
This is not going likely be fun or easy.

Estimates are going to be difficult with no dealerships and commercially available parts. I would probably demand they total it for fair market value (use classifieds for valuation estimate and something like the Hagerty valuation) and buy it back for the salvage value and then park it while you sort out locating parts, etc. assuming this is a vehicle you "love." You could perhaps buy a whole parts trooper with a portion of the insurance proceeds and get it fixed as you are able. If this specific trooper isn't your one true love, or you just need transportation, just buy a different one with the insurance proceeds.

Also, find out whatever your applicable insurance bad faith statute is and send them a demand pursuant to that for the full value of the truck. Certified mail is usually required. That usually triggers a 60 day clock in most states for resolving the claim. Then you can always take them to small claims court if they don't pay within that timeframe and they will have to pay a statutory penalty.

Just my .02.
To me it’s strange to even get insurance imvolved in something so small, much less total it. Probably less that $200 to fix that out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't bother with insurance, and the suggestion to try and get it totaled is a bad one. It just devalues the vehicle further by it now having a salvage title. The suggestion "bad faith statute," which isn't a real thing, is the DOI complaint I was talking about.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe she noted in her initial post that the didn't want to have to ferret out parts and seems like she may not have the mechanical skills to repair/replace herself.

I have litigated bad faith insurance claims and am very familiar with them. I agree it is excessive, but I don't think she should have to source parts to assert an insurance claim. I had to put Liberty Mutual over a barrel with Georgia's bad faith statute after they refused to pay diminution in value when I asserted a claim through them after someone else rear-ended me in my Infiniti. Procedure was as set forth above.

I have seen many sub 5K vehicles totaled out for minimal damage, such as occurred here. Really depends on how she wants to resolve, but I don't think she wants to be scouring junk yards for parts based on her post.

Maybe a forum member in the area could help her with the repairs???

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts