Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend at Paragon, I pushed up my exhaust crossover skidplate, the one that protects the intermediate pipe, and a rock caught the exposed flex pipe that's a part of the intermediate pipe assembly, giving me a nice nauseating and power sapping exhaust leak. It needed to be replaced anyway, but now I really need it before I give myself a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

It's the assmebly that consists of the pipe that runs from the pass. side manifold over to the driver's side collector/Y-pipe to the catalytic convertor.

Where can I find the intermediate pipe assembly for a reasonable price? I haven't given St. Charles Isuzu a call yet, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet at all.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Guess it's not the kind of thing you want to get from a junkyard...I have seen Y-pipes and such for my Trooper on the web, not sure about yours though. They aren't cheap...god knows what the dealer will want for one. Sometimes they surprise me though and are reasonable. Maybe if you find a guy that does his own pipe bending he can make one for you.

I did that with the skidplate on my Trooper also...fortunately not quite bad enough to snap the pipe, just flexed it some and the upstream flange gasket on the drivers side fell out. CarX stuck a little "mud" (some exhaust repair goop from a tube) in the the flange gap and it has been fine so far.

I was looking at it, trying to see if there is a way to reroute the pipe and gain some clearance...but short of dual exhaust, I haven't come up with anything brilliant yet. That skidplate is one of the lowest things under there...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Unless you can find one locally at like a pick-and-pull, you're probably better off buying from St. Charles. Since it's a fairly big exhaust pipe, it's going to be bulky and heavy, so shipping is probably going to bring anyone else up to the level of St. Charles (who doesn't charge for UPS ground shipping).

Alternately, you could take your Troop to an exhaust / muffler shop. They can cut out the bad section of pipe and weld in a new one, or just make you a new pipe using your old flanges. That's probably the cheapest route.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, from the Manifolds back to the muffler, all of that has to be replaced anyway. There's no way I can even use the old flanges, they're rusted to oblivion.

I'd love to have someone fabricate me a whole new setup, however, I don't know anyone that could get me a deal on an otherwise expensive job. Factory seems to be the only way to go. :|

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if I go the St. Charles Isuzu route, what do I have to do to ensure I get the free shipping and discount, if that's even still in effect?

Also, would the standard Meineke/Midas/Monroe exhaust and muffler place be able to replace everything from the headers/manifolds back, or will they only take care of everything from the collector back?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Iv'e never had to ask for it. Just tell them that you want the internet discount just in case I guess.

Not shure about the 2nd question. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that a name brand shop like Meineke or Midas would let you bring your own parts for them to install. Your best bet IMHO would be to shop around for an exhaust shop to do it.

I wish everyone had an area like the south side of San Antonio in their town. I got my exhaust (including the header) done at a mom and pop place for cheap.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, they gave me the option of welding in a new flex pipe, and keeping the existing intermediate pipe.

I'm going to go this route for now, as it is a stainless pipe, and it's ok otherwise. Plus, it's half the amount compared to replacing the entire pipe.

The major problem is that there's a hole on the top of the flex pipe pumping fumes right into the cabin.

The fact that there's a hole on top instead of the bottom where I hit it tells me that it was WELL on it's way to rotting out eventually, and a slight tap was all it needed to make a small hole. The wire casing around it was completely rotted away on the backside and on the top. So now I don't feel entirely guilty for hitting it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.