1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Sure do! '95 Civic dx coupe. it even has a header and hi flow exhaust!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For $500?

Maybe I should have mentioned that, has to be a $500 car.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
$500 cash and it's yours. Or anybody elses that wants it for that money. It is my current daily driver but has to be off the road by Dec 29. It burns a lot of oil and won't pass emissions anymore. Other than that it runs fine and gets 40mpg. Throw a $500 junk yard engine in it and drive it a few more years. Or just race it for 24 hours as is on 2 tanks of gas!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
129 Posts
seems a little steep on that Z car - around here running ones in better condition go for about that, at least if you know the right people. My brother had a 78 280Z that he bought for $500, drove it for like 6 months, blew a tire and messed up the suspension abit, and then sold it for the same amount.

I used to have a 86 Nissan 200SX that I got for $600. That car ran for a long long time, and probably still would be if I hadn't hit that deer, then a sign post after sliding it off the road a in the winter. It was a good car, but the wife hated it, so it got crushed back when scrap was bringing some $$. I think i got $300 out of it for scrap. I miss that car

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love any old RWD car. Datsun, Toyota, whatever.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah I was going to do the Lemons races in Texas and I just never got around to building the car, I had a Mazda 929 that was ready to roll around the corners like a whale on rollerskates. I wouldnt mind doing it now, Jalopnik has a page that shows a pie chart of each manufacturer and how well they do. I do advise this, Dont get a damn E30 BMW and try to go race, they want different and unique, find something cool and wierd, it doesnt have to be the best.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Poo, I was looking at an '85 BMW 528i too. Maybe I should just build this Subaru I already have. That 75hp boxer is pretty indestructible as long as you can keep oil in and the temperature down. My concern is that it may not have the 2" of helmet clearance. It's not a head-roomy car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be creative ! That makes it alot easier for the judges to overlook your lack of receipts and not give you a billion penalty laps.

Remember also, on a wet track an Audi with quattro will dominate, but not so much on a dry track. On a tight track with small straights you can run less power and rely on handling and spend the money on good tires and suspension. Figure out what track is in your area, scout it, and decide what would be best to give you a good chance of winning while maintaining a FUN car and a GOOD attitude. Its all about fun.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do they really audit receipts? I don't think I have a bill of sale or anything for the Subaru, cost me $250 as a non-runner parts car, and I have a lead on a $60 engine.

I don't expect to win, I just want to compete and have some fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not as much as they use common sense, if you have a brand new set of AFR Heads on your SBC Powered 240Z, they will know you are full of poop. But say you legit find a set of good coilovers on a wrecked car in a pick a parts, its worth your time to document it, pictures, receipt, ect to show that you got them within the budget. These are all things I was told when I started my LM race plans.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had an idea that my likely teammate was keen on too:

Isuzu P'up Diesel

It won't be fast, I know. But lower it and borrow some sway bars from a trooper with performance tires on 15-17" wheels, it should handle alright, maybe. Diesel with an oversize tank should net some decent range.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Squatch... that's an extremely tempting deal.

How close are you to Baltimore Airport. $59 one way ticket and I could drive that sumbitch home!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Red0ktober said:

Isuzu P'up Diesel

It won't be fast, I know. But lower it and borrow some sway bars from a trooper with performance tires on 15-17" wheels, it should handle alright, maybe. Diesel with an oversize tank should net some decent range.
I like that idea! You should totally do that.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I doubt I will be able to come up with a working Isuzu diesel for $500 though. :/

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Red0ktober said:

Isuzu P'up Diesel

It won't be fast, I know. Diesel with an oversize tank should net some decent range.
Long beds are 19 gal short beds are 13 gal
in the rules, the MAX limit is 24 gal

id use a short bed, and mount a 21 gal trooper tank where the spare tire goes :idea:

running at WOT with an "adjustable" IP :wink:
expect 14 to 18 mpg or so. with yellows you could run 20ish mpg.
since 2wds are mostly 3.42 or 3.73 id change the 3rd member to 4.10, 4.55 or 3.90 so shifting is to a minimum
and run low pro 14" tires, big tires and using O\D gear with 57hp is a major downer for racing.

target about 3,600 rpms in high gear at the end of the fastest strate spot.
if you can make 75 it will be a blessing :p

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Must. Find. P'up.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.