Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that it's not that difficult to convert it to 4wd with a 1995 or earlier manual transfer case. Is this true? What exactly would I need to do this?
Also is the transmission the same on the 2wd or would I end up putting even more stress on a transmission that is already known to fail?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not true but not to far off...
The transfer case on the manual transmission is integrated as one into the transmission case. The transfer-case can not be removed. The automatic transmission transfer-case is a independent unit and is removable. To do so you will need to replace the transmission output shaft as there is a difference between the 2wd and 4wd shafts. If you like to convert to a manual 4x4 drive I have all the parts in dtock to do so that I sell in as a conversion package.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I've read that it's not that difficult to convert it to 4wd with a 1995 or earlier manual transfer case. Is this true? What exactly would I need to do this?
Also is the transmission the same on the 2wd or would I end up putting even more stress on a transmission that is already known to fail?
00-02 Trooper uses a 4WD configured 4L30e automatic transmission in both 2WD and 4WD trucks. Instead of using a 4L30e with a 2WD tail shaft the 00-02 Trooper has a special long transmission extension housing that converts the 4WD transmission tail shaft to 2WD. The longer extension housing makes up for the missing transfer case so the 00-02 Trooper 2WD and 4WD use the same length rear propeller ("drive") shaft. You can unbolt and remove the extension housing and then attach a 4WD transfer case.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok so I will need a transfer case and axles from an automatic, and I'm assuming the hubs as well?

Also what year/ models have the transfer case that is operated manually without all the electronics?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
A 95 Trooper transfer case will bolt up but the front and rear propeller shafts may be the wrong length if you use it instead of a 98-02 Trooper transfer case.
You will also need the complete front axle and differential assembly from a 98-02 Trooper; including the brackets, knuckles, hubs etc and a front propeller shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts