Isuzu SUV Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
So 1998+ Rodeo and 1998+ Trooper Front shocks are interchangeable? I checked RockAuto for the compressed & extended shock lengths for both Rodeo's and Troopers of this generation and they seem around 0.5" to 0.75" different. Keep in mind when I check the specs for different brand shocks specified for just the Rodeo there is around 0.5" differences between compressed & extended lengths for some. So, I am not sure what the tolerances are from the factory, but I would guess this around 0.5" extra in extended length or 0.5" less in compressed length is fine for the vehicle.

But, I noticed Rockauto lists different part numbers for the same brand and model of shocks: KYB, Bilstein, Monroe, etc, between the Rodeo and Trooper. So if they are truly interchangeable, why the differing part numbers?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm confirming the 00-06 Toyota Tundra 4wd rear shocks does indeed fit the 2nd gen Rodeo/Passports with a 2-2.5" lift. It fit my '98 Passport with the lower shock mount bushing changed. I'm posting here in case anyone searches for options in the future. I can't never find what the 2nd gen Rodeo guys run when they lift their rigs.

2-2.5" lift. 2nd gen Rodeo/Passports.

Front lift: Torsion cranked (Turn the big torsion key bolt clockwise - hint measure the stud sticking out on top)
Front shocks: Keep stock replacement shocks as OP stated. I run Bilstein F 24-185363

Rear lift: Moog CC247 Cheap replacement spring that is roughly 2.5" longer than stock. Almost same spring rate.
Rear shocks: Bilstein #24-185394. 2-2.5" longer than OE shocks. Press out lower bushing with a ball joint press. Replaced bushing with Energy Suspension 9.8108G 3/4" bushing. Also add Dexter K7129100 14mm ID bushing sleeve. It will fit into the factory axle mounted stud. The sleeve is 44.45mm long, trim it down to 40mm and it will be flushed with the smooth section of the axle mounted stud. The top stem bushings that comes with the shock are too small and cannot be use. Keep the thick OE top bushings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I've ran into a couple issues. 96 passport 4wd.

Rear mount stud is not 14mm. I've got 16mm on my calipers. The threads are about 12mm.

I've got Toyota shocks and the bushing id is 12mm. So if I drill the bushing out it will be destroyed but might fit loosely.

Even rock auto lists the lower eyes on some rear Isuzu listed shocks to be 12mm. I don't get it.

Anyone ran into this? Why is my mount 16mm+? See pics. Thanks dudes.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can I ask just a simple shock recommendation…. what is best quality shock for a 1990 trooper without requiring any mods to chassis. Would like to lift whatever inches I can get staying stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed the KYB Gas-a-just rear shocks from a 2005 RWD Ranger in the rear of my 97 Trooper. The bushings weren't right so I replaced both bushings with Energy suspension 3/4" shock bushings. For the bottom, that is all that is needed because the mount is 19mm (3/4"). For the top, i made a bushing sleeve from 3/4" DOM and drilled it out to fit the 14mm (9/16") bolt. I haven't driven it yet, but the install was straight forward and should give about 2.25" more wheel travel from the 1.61" extra stroke.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts