Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a 4000 mile (round trip) road trip starting this weekend in my 96 Rodeo (135K). So long as I can afford gas with the hurricane going on I just want to make sure I do any preventative maintenence/checks before I go.

Anyone have any suggestions of items I should check before I go? Aside from the highway driving I will be doing some wheeling when I get to New Mexico.

So far I have:

New oil and filter (Mobile 1 5W20, first time using this oil, silences the lifters but is this a good idea for the long drive?)
Checked front and rear diff levels.
Checked trans level.
New PCV.
New Air filter.
New belts.
Checked brakes.
Checked lights.
Newly greased front wheel bearings.

Can anyone think of anything I may be missing. I am a little worried as last year I took a road trip to North Carolina and ended up blowing the rear differential due to the previous owner using 30W oil in it (I had just bought it). I don't want to get stuck anywhere!

Thanks,

Nathan

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Check:

coolant level
brake fluid
tire pressure (check the spare too)
I'd grease your U-joints and anything else that has a greese zerk on it

Don't forget to check your muffler bearing.

Joe

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
1. I'd make sure that the cooling system was up to par, especially going into the SW! At a minimum, I'd check that I had good airflow over the radiator and that the fins weren't caked with mud, etc. When was the last time you flushed the system? How old are the hoses?

2. How are the tires? Any obvious issues with the tread or sidewalls? Pressure correct, especially the spare?

3. How is the battery? Is the level correct? Check the date and find out if it has passed its expected life.

4. How long since you replaced the fuel filter?

5. What about the wiper blades? On my last trip I had to stop and find replacements during a heavy rain.

6. I assume that you carry tools but it is also a good idea to put together a breakdown kit that includes things like fuses, bulbs, flares, spare batteries for the flashlight, hose clamps, hose repair and duct tape, paper towels, etc. I usually keep my old belts in the kit.

Have a good trip!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I will check the battery and get some new wiper blades. Everything else is done.

I will have to experiment with tire pressure as I really don't know what to run my non-stock 265/75/16's at. Have been running at about 30PSI.

Muffler bearing huh? :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, One last thing speaking of bearings...

Since the lift I get quite a bit of vibration starting from a stop. The carrier bearing is pretty shot. I am under the impression that this is normal and will someday get a one piece made.

This should not cause any problems though right other than annoyance?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The carrier bearing is pretty shot.

This should not cause any problems though right other than annoyance?
It shouldn't cause any problems or get worse. Just the vibration. Mine was out for quite a while before getting fixed.

Andre

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'd replace the carrier bearing if you can before you go. The rubber on mine gave way on vaction a couple years ago. And I had to front drive down to a hardware store and make plumbing dept repairs. http://community.webshots.com/album/85630134LuPGtg/1

There are some cool places to wheel in New Mexico. Look here before you go http://www.webejeepin.com/Trails/New_Me ... ils_NM.htm Around Red River, Goose Lake and Greenie Peak are cool easy trails. Around Truth or Consequences, Monticello Canyon is a trail up a mellow box canyon, easy non 4low but worth the trip. Caballo Lake / Palomas Gap trail is a little harder really need gps to follow. I lost the trail 1/4 way though, but had fun exploring. Click on my pictures in my sig line.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have done three 3,000+ mile round trips in my 98K mile 1991 diesel Trooper this year down to my house in southern France from Manchester UK, the outward journey loaded to the roof with gear, and either a big roof box or a set of ladders on top. Each time it's managed it fine and the main part of the trip is about 900 miles in two days there and the same back at a steady 70mph (freeway type roads) Everything you've said sounds pretty reasonable, some kind of breakdown cover may be useful just in case (AAA) so you know they'll get you home. Some tools and maybe a few basic spares, belts, hoses (I too keep the old ones for an emergency!) clips, clamps, cable ties, some lengths of electrical cable and insulating tape for emergency electrical repairs.

Enjoy your road trip, yours is a great country to drive in as I found out a few years ago when the wife and I did a big three week road trip around California, Nevada and Arizona.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I CAN not believe that non of you said timing belt and water pump.

That should be on the top of your list with 135K on it.

OK maybe I should ask if your motor uses a chain or belt. :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.