Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is it to install a locking diff in the rear of my rodeo? what all is needed to be done. parts and stuff. is it realy worth it?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If you go off road with any seriousness it is worth it for sure.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How hard is it to do?? It doesnt seem to bad just lot of work.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If you are a little handy the "lunchbox" style lockers, such as Lockright, Aussie, etc. are fairly easy because you don't have to re-setup the gears. Others such as ARB selectable, Detroits etc. do require gear setup.

There are Aussie locker install how-to's here on the site if you search...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks bud

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you are only going to put a locker in one diff, I would recommend the front. You already have limited slip in the rear and besides, a non selectable in the rear is kind of a pain when driving on the street.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how hards to front to do?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Take into account that to put a lunchbox locker into the rear Dana44 Isuzu differential you must take the diff out of the vehicle. It cannot be installed in-place, like the lunchbox locker installation manual suggests. This is because Isuzu is using 3.73- carriers with "thick" higher ratio gears. It definitely adds to the installation complexity.

·
Registered
388 Posts
rosader said:
If you are only going to put a locker in one diff, I would recommend the front. You already have limited slip in the rear and besides, a non selectable in the rear is kind of a pain when driving on the street.
Why is it a pain? Just have to adjust your driving habits. Not so hard on gas and slow around corners. I would go with a rear first. Install is easy...just remember torque ring gear bolts, thread locker, and backlash. But it's worth the investment! That or just weld the rear. The Front is the same way of install. Taking the 3rd member out is no big deal...just have a extra pair of hands to help.

A few tips...taking ring gear off: piece of wood and hammer. light taps all the way around and around until it falls. To get it back on, heat in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes...hurry and it will slip right on!

The bad part about front is that if you have ADD diff it's going to lock whether it's in 4wd or not, that can be a problem on a tight turn on the road. Manual hubs then your good.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes thats i bud! before you buy look up the installation process just to be familiar with it. if its not done right, you will end up losing a lot of money. I seen a few diffs shread gears, cracked cases, or with lockers stuck in lock positon because of a bad install. Not trying to scare you, but just get familiar with what youre getting into.

I have both front and rear in my toyota and love them. But i did the rear axle first and that helped tremendously!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay it'll be a while befor i get one with money being tight. also haw do you change the rear diff fluid ? it needs it really bad! is it hard to do?

·
Registered
388 Posts
When you unbolt the diff the fluid is going to pour out so have something to catch it underneath. Take some rags and wipe the diff out of the old fuild. Then once you set the locker up install diff...then theres a fill hole on the back side of the axle, undo bolt, fill with gear oil until it starts to drip out the hole, bolt in and your done.

Pick up a haynes manual it shows all this minus a locker setup. Sounds like you have lots of learning to do! So if you ever have any questions you need answered fast about maintenance or wheelin' pm bud.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay thanks man. im still a newbe but someday ill get there :) ... also is the bolt gonna be on the diff cover or is it gonna be on the housing itself? you can do this without an impact right?

·
Registered
388 Posts
icesluss said:
okay thanks man. im still a newbe but someday ill get there :) ... also is the bolt gonna be on the diff cover or is it gonna be on the housing itself? you can do this without an impact right?
No impact! Wrech or socket will work. Its on the axle housin in the center of either left or right side. Go under your rig look at the back of the axle and you'll see two big bolts. One low which is to drain, and one higher thats the fill.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay when i get outta school ill do that. the only reason i asked a bout impact whas because alot of my car is rusted on the bottom. salt back in peoria really rusted stuff ):

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Icesluss- you have a Rodeo, which has a Dana 44 rear. If you also have LSD the Aussie Locker only fits open differentials.
Download the installaion manual from Aussie or Poertrax for the D-44 rear to get a better idea of what you are getting into.
And if Your D-44 does not have a drain plug just pull off the back cover, replace it using RTV as a gasket. The fill plug should be either in the back cover or on the side of the housing in front of the axle tube.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay thanks. i was confused. i thought it was on the cover but wasnt sure

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its all good. No biggie at all. I just found out they did bout a month ago too :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts