Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heated roads are a b$!ch for part time 4WD systems.

Here in Hokkaido 90% of the roads are covered in sheet ice and packed snow, but then turn a corner and there it is: 5 kms of bone dry heated highway in the middle of winter.

I'm wondering...is it alright to leave the hubs locked and just switch out of 4WD for the dry highway sections?

My other two Troopers were manual trans/auto lock, so I've never had the choice before.

Thanks,

BH

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I 2nd that. You are fine driving with the hubs locked in 2wd. Some newer Isuzus come with full-time locked hubs (hub flanges) and those owners can't unlock them.

Do they use the steam pipes that heat buildings to heat the roads there?

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I always wondered when I was a kid why they didn't heat the roads. Come to find out, some places do.

The only things you may see are a bit less gas milage and maybe some cv boot wear if you are lifted.

Joe

·
Registered
93 Posts
They heat roads? That has to be really expensive, not worth it at all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You should really stop when shifting from 4wd to 2wd with auto hubs. If your going to be switching allot and you don't want to stop, maybe look into changing to manual hubs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
badercarma said:
You should really stop when shifting from 4wd to 2wd with auto hubs. If your going to be switching allot and you don't want to stop, maybe look into changing to manual hubs.
Why would you have to stop? Shifting to 2wd with any kind of hubs, or no hubs, puts no stress on the drivetrain whatsoever.

Tom

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I've been shifting that way with my auto-hub'd Troopers for years. Never a problem. It's great for the conditions described, patchy snow and ice.

As long as you haven't stopped and backed up, the hubs should remain locked, and it will slip from 4-HI to 2-HI and back again as slickly as you please.

Besides, you're going to know right away if the hubs are unlocked as it absolutely won't go from 2-HI to 4-HI no matter how hard you'd dare to push the transfer case shift lever.

I like my Poor Man's Shift-On-the-Fly !!! :twisted:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Agreed, as long as you haven't backed up and unlocked the automatic hubs, you can shift from 4WD to 2WD and back as often as you want. Once the hubs are unlocked, then you have to stop to engage 4WD (and lock the automatic hubs at the same time).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.