Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I'm pretty sure I've got TDC on #1 located, but everything I've read about pulling the head, says you need to be on TDC for #4. My manual says once I've located TDC for #1 I should rotate 180 degrees for each cylinder to reach TDC on each cylinder in firing order.

So the way I read it, firing order is 1 3 4 2, so if I'm on TDC one, I rotate the crank 360 and I should hit #4 TDC, since # would be at the 180 mark. My dist is pointing to the #4 (thats good) and my rockers feel loose.

Anybody following this?

I just want to make sure I'm in right spot before I go any further.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Pull the distributor cap, inside each contact is numbered. Take a grease pen or white crayon & mark the side of the dist cap where #4contact is, put the cap back on & mark the dist to match.... Now pull the cap back off & slowly rotate motor until the button of the rotor is pointing at your grease mark. TaDa! you're now in the compression/firing stroke of #4 cyl. From here move VERY slowly with a long screw driver in the sparkplug hole to find perfect TDC.

~psguardian

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I just needed to somebody to rub my neck and says its ok. I kinda thought I was in the right neighborhood, but wasn't sure

thanks for the help psguardian!

·
Registered
181 Posts
With #4 at TDC the marks should both line up on the harmonic balancer and the mark on the cam drive gear. Just pop the cover off and look, since you'll have to anyway to pull the head. If you have located #1 TDC then a 360 degree rotation will get you to #4 TDC. But I'd go with pulling the belt cover as you have to anyway.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Don't trust the harmonic balancer (the core & the ring are held together by a rubber doughnut), the outter ring slips over time & the mark is therefore useless. If you want to confirm the bottom mark, use the keyway in the end of the crank (gonna need a mirror on a stick here, or pull the radiator). If by chance the key & the outer mark are still lined up then you can trust the mark this time, otherwise just make a grease pen line on the outer ring directly over the keyway & that should be within a degree or two.

~psguardian

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool! thanks guys

I ready double check all the alignments and mark them up.

I'm sure there are a million things I'll think of when I start back the other direction.

soon as I figure out the photo thing I start posting pics of my RS, sweet ride, just needs a gasket and some TLC.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Goto your fav pic hosting system, picasa, photo bucket etc & find their option for creating embedded or direct links. it should end in the photo's file name. Make sure the pic is set to be viewable by the public & then do this

Code:
1. copy the link provided by your pic hosting site.
2. on another tab/page come to your new post, or edit an existing one.
3. paste your link into the message.
4. highlight your newly pasted link.
5. Hit the button in the upper right that says Img

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_qZJxG8tq79o/TYptsK5T0_I/AAAAAAAAAj4/vj81thJ8lW0/s400/New%209mm.jpg[/img]
It looks like this when its not in the 'Code' box

~psguardian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.