Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Trooper 3.2 DOHC, Auto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could find no note or maintenance record for the 92 having had the rear end oil changed and noticed that it was chattering a little. I drained and a added Valvoline synthetic 75-90 with the LSD additive already in it. After driving it a while it still chatters a little and is especially noticeable when I back uphill and turn. Do I just need to add a little more to eliminate the chattering? Local Napa has this for 8.99:
Rectangle Font Material property Publication Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
A good discussion here about that:

What I'd get from that is don't use any more additive than what you need to make the clutches happy. Too much may adversely affect clutch operation. And the levels of LSD additive that come with the Valvoline might not be quite enough.

IMHO I'd add the extra and see if it likes it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I filled it up because I figured what was in the oil already would be enough. I will turkey baster a little bit out and maybe add a couple ounces and see how that does. Maybe 1 ounce would be better to start with. When I got to Napa, brand was actually different than what I thought I was going for, but I think it should be fine:
Liquid Fluid Cosmetics Paint Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
1,491 Posts
I think you will probably need to add that whole container at least.

When I last changed mine, I used a non-additive base oil, and it took about two complete bottles of that same additive (LubeGuard, not the CRC) to quite the chatter completely.

The difference with the LubeGard is that it has a synthetic ester oil base to it, which is fantastic for keeping the components clean/unvarnished, and conditioning seals. The LSD additive content between the two different ones will be the same.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I agree, add the whole tube. 1-oz probably won't make much difference.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is it chattering or just engaging like it's supposed to. All of my LSD systems pop a little on turns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it chattering or just engaging like it's supposed to. All of my LSD systems pop a little on turns.
It’s a little shaking around corners… I notice it mostly backing out of my driveway and up the hill. Maybe his just situational and within normal limits. Hi had a Chevelle years ago with a Posi rear end and don’t remember it shaking like this though. I don’t want to use too much additive and have the clutches not work properly.

·
Registered
868 Posts
FWIW, I use regular 80W-90 with no LSD friction modifier additive. I then put one 4oz tube of LSD additive in the diff. Then drive and if it chatters I had 2 more ounces. I just repeat it until it doesn't chatter. It's never taken more than 6 ounces.

·
Registered
993 Posts
You will need X amount of modifier for X amount of gear oil. Directions are on the package. If you fill your rear end with any API GL5 gear oil the modifier is already in the oil at the correct amount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts