Isuzu SUV Forum banner
141 - 160 of 190 Posts
Discussion starter · #143 ·
Yes. Anytime you make ride height adjustments to the front end you should have the alignment checked.

Discussion starter · #145 ·
The upper link hits the gas tank with too much wheel travel. So I f you aren't installing a bent upper link I wouldn't. I know Calmini Truckw sells the bent upper link but only as part of their kit. Not sure if anyone else is still making one but I doubt it would be very hard to make your own.

Moog cc812 springs in my 99 Trooper S. Looks to be about a 3 inch lift, I'm bad about before and after photos, I'll have to take some pics in the day light. I cut as little of the pig tail as required, removing only enough to get them to seat in the upper cup properly. If you're wondering progressive springs normally go close coil side up, as mine are installed.
It is noticeably stiffer than OEM, which is awesome because this thing would cycle the entire suspension just pulling into my front yard, waaaaay to soft. I plan to transfer my normal tool/rig set up from my Bronco, so the load carrying is a must for me off road. With that being said any reports of them possibly being too stiff are wrong, they pliable as needed and I can still rock the **** out of the truck by bouncing it. A normal American half ton truck is much stiffer in the rear than these springs made my Trooper.
I'm running stock length KYB Gas-A-Just shocks for now, they are stiff enough to reign in the soft factory front end and control the stiffer Moog 812 springs out back.
I cranked the torsion bars up front while adding the Indy balljoint flip kit and low profile stops. I think eventually I will need to replace the soft factory T-bars, even cranked to match the rear lift they are too soft.

Discussion starter · #147 ·
I've redone the list yet again. If anyone has a cool sprung Amigo or Rodeo Sport and doesn't mind getting front/rear axle weights I can make a section for them as well.

Where do you get this axle weight, a weigh station on the side of the hwy? Or a truck stop? My amigo is fairly heavy, but I wouldn't mind getting it weighed. I just ordered some moog cc784s. I'll see what they do, and report back.

Discussion starter · #149 ·
Look for a place that has a Cat certified scale. There will be separate pads to put your wheels on to weigh each axle independently. Usually truck stops have them. Your Amigo is 100-300 lbs lighter than a Rodeo depending on trim. Good bet would be to plan on an addition inch of lift over a Rodeo.

I'll see what I can find around here, My amigo may weigh just as much with my heavy bumpers and steps.

Discussion starter · #151 ·
Alright if you do get it weighed please include what bumpers you have and an estimate on the weight.

So I installed Moog CC784 coil springs on my modified 98 Amigo, I had it weighed at the local truck stop and found my truck to be about 4000#. The front bumper is ~150# and the rear 80#. I also have heavy step/guards welded on and bigger tires and such.

So I replaced my old trooper springs and 2" spacers, which were giving me right under 4" of lift. The new springs got me just over 4" of lift with just the pigtail cut off. So, it's a good swap, and maintains the OEM spring rate. If I need any more lift I got the spacers left over.

Thanks for your info, I don't think I would of thought of this without it.

Discussion starter · #153 ·
Any chance you got the weight on each axle?

I think its on the read out, I'll have to go dig it out of the garage.

One think I am unsure about is cutting off the pigtail. I believe that our stock springs are squared off; they will stand up on their own. If one just cuts off the pigtail (say on a Moog 812), don't you end up with a tangential spring that will fall over if you try to stand it up? Maybe it doesn't matter?

My stock (trooper) spring wasn't tangential, it will not stand on its own. It just kind "wedges" itself on the bottom axle perch and the "isolator/spacer" sits on top to square it off with the frame.

Discussion starter · #157 ·
Tangential springs are cut off then have the lower portion of the last coil cut to give a square edge. Just cutting off the pigtail will not give you a tangential spring. In all honesty it doesn't matter if the spring will stand up on its own or not. When installed the weight of the vehicle keep it secured on the spring pads.

Does anyone know if there are coil springs that would raise the rear end of a trooper 2" - 2.5" while maintaining a spring rate close to stock. I have a 2000 Trooper and looking at the list, the moog 784 would soften the ride which seems to be something I wouldn't want, and the other two would either raise it too much or stiffen it far too much (as I don't do any towing and on rare occasion do light off-roading). I'm also pretty sure my trooper has the original springs at 193,000 miles so they've probably compressed some bit with wear.

As I understand reading from Independent4x the OME 2919 would offer what I'm looking for, but are there alternatives?

I have 2" spring spacers for sale in Classified. Would give you 2" of lift and have same spring stiffness. :idea:

Reactions: hanes12345
141 - 160 of 190 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.