Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys,

I am wanting to put a 3" suspension lif on my Rodeo. But the only company that I can find that makes a kit is Calmini. Are there any others that I am missing??

Plus, I need suggestions on wheels and tires. It is a daily driver, but it is planned to be a show vehicle for my company as well..

Thanks in advance.

Brett

·
Registered
7,208 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Calmini kit for 2nd gens has some major advantages over the other kits depending what you want out of a lift kit.

I would check out this thread on 4x4wire for a detailed description and comparison of the lift kits.

Then check out this thread for wheel and tire info.

Also beware with a full 3" lift you will have ripped CV boots very soon and you can't put manual hubs on your model so plan on buying some Mecatech CV boots from Matt at http://www.independent4x.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok.. Very cool... I heard about the torn CV boots.. It is good to know that the can be easily replaced.

I will also check out the links..

Thank you very much.

Brett

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm pricing out lift kits for my '94 Troop, probably just a suspension...anyways I've been loooking at the 2 inch lift on the Calmini site and the 3 inch lift on the independant 4x4 site. First off I've been told by a buddy that the Calmini lift is better because they offer heavy torsion bars to replace the stock ones on my Troop, but I wonder if I would even need to worry about this? I won't be bouncing off of rocks and smaller cars, probably mud holes and wash board will be the extent of my Troops 4x4ing. Secondly, would a 2 inch suspension lift be enough to size up my tires? I'm already running 265/75R16's and would like to go bigger...not monstrous or anything but definately a little bit. Any insight guys?

·
Registered
237 Posts
You don't need the heavy duty torsion bars unless you plan to run a heavy winch bumper or something like that in the front. With stock torsion bars and a steel bumper...the front sags a little. You will be able to run 285/75/16's with a minimal lift. I have no personal experience with Calmini. However, many customers are dissatisfied with their customer service and delivery times. But they have a strong, well built product. My money goes to indy 4x when I need something but that is me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just looked up the Calmini lift for 94 Troopers, ya for Troopers is doesn't look like the Calmini kit has any real benefit of the Indy4x kit.

I have stock torsion bars on my Passport and it has a pretty stiff ride and never bottoms out, but I could possibly see the need for HD torsion bars if you have a heavy steel bumper and winch on the front.

Also I'm not sure if Troopers or your Trooper has to much body roll but if it does after the lift you could buy those separately but I doubt you'll need them.

As for Calmini's customer service, I don't know what people are doing to piss off the guy that answers the phones but I have talked to the people at Calmini several times and was just on the phone with them a few hours ago and like always they were very helpful and kind.

Though there shipping was rather slow when I ordered my kit so I just ended up driving out there to pick it up myself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
thanks for the tips guys, no I wouldn't think I would ever be running a winch for the "sunday driving" type of 4x4ing I will most likely always be doing but it's good to know if I did upgrade to one I would have to get some HD torsion bars. In reguards to the cranking up of the torsion bars to achieve lift, anyone know how much I can get out of them? Would just cranking them up give me the three inches I would need with the three inch lift kit?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes...you can get 3 inches out of the torsion bars easily. You will need to relocate your upper ball joint and install a spacer to fix camber. Also, remember that 4 turns of the adjustment bolts on the torsion bars equals 1 inch.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cool...uh...how exactly do I relocate my upper ball joints? Is there some pics on another thread around here that I haven't been able to find? I'm going to attempt my lift myself rather than pay a shop to do it so any instructions will definately help my fumblin' and bumblin' :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Instead of the upper ball joint being bolted on top on the upper control arm bolt it to the bottom of the upper control arm. Be sure to get an alignment afterwards to.

For instructions, it's all pretty straight forward if you have the truck and parts in front of you. Just stop back here if you run into any problems.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I thought it was a bad idea to flip the balljoint on 2nd gen rodeos. Should only be done on first gens. At least thats what I've read.

On 2nd gens the arms are longer and apparently dont need to be flipped anyways.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Now that I think about it, I think you right....this step is unnecessary ON 2 GEN RODEOS.

However, this step is needed to correct camber on the Trooper discussed earlier.

Sorry.

Brad

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ya the thread is about a Rodeo but a Trooper guy bumped in asking questions so that's why we are talking about ball joint flips.

But for 2nd gen Rodeos it is very un-recommended but you can flip the ball joints to get more down travel, that's what I did on mine but it gave me a lot of positive camber so I needed to get longer custom camber bolts so I could fit more shims. Every one will say not to do a ball joint flip on a 2nd gen because you could rip out the seals on the R&P. So far with my setup I have had no problems yet other then getting the camber fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used OME springs and Biltsteins all the way around on my 2001 rodeo and was able to get 3" easily..... only took around 45 minutes and made a huge difference in handling after throwing on some larger BFG AT KO's. Well worth doing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
But not the greatest idea. And check your center brake line, cuz if you haven't touched it you will brake it at full droop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Believe it or not I did a little research before this all happened. Go figure. No stretched lines.......maybe that's an overpriced Honda upgrade for an Isuzu ride. Checked all lines and they were fine, even after just letting it hang there in the air and about 8000 miles back and forth in baja. Did it in my shop at work and nothing was maxed out. Could have gone more if I had wanted to max out but that's not what I was after. Drove around for a week or two and let things settle in and then aligned her and have had great results since then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts