Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is that time that I will be needing to replace the tires on my '00 Trooper. I am a BFG AT guy, so that is probably the tire. Whaddya recommend for sizing? I am leaning towards 285/75/16.

Considering the torsion bar crank, then some new shocks and maybe springs. The current OEM springs seem a little soft and mushy.

So.....what would you put on here, realizing that there is a budget? Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If you want to go to 285/75s then you definitely need a set of OME 912 rear coils...both for the 1.5" lift to clear the tires and because they will cure the mushiness you refer to. Pretty cheap upgrade, certainly a lot less than the tires will be, and an easy DIY install.

If you go to 265/75s, then the lift is not necessary, but I would still recommend the OME coils, they are great IMHO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigSwede said:
If you want to go to 285/75s then you definitely need a set of OME 912 rear coils...both for the 1.5" lift to clear the tires and because they will cure the mushiness you refer to. Pretty cheap upgrade, certainly a lot less than the tires will be, and an easy DIY install.

If you go to 265/75s, then the lift is not necessary, but I would still recommend the OME coils, they are great IMHO.
Thanks Big Swede--I was considering the Explorer Pro Comp 9000 shocks and some new coils. I will seriously consider the OMEs....That seems to be the most poplar spring out there for the Troop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing I was considering was to get a different wheel--steel 15"?? Perhaps get the bigger tires that way, and get a different look for the Troop. I do not want gigantic tires, but maybe some 32" or 33" on a 15" rim would look pretty good, and might not be too much more than keeping the 16" wheels....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rodeoholic said:
http://4wheelparts.com/4wp/packages/index.asp?ParentPacID=50 :D
Thanks Holic....any experience with the Swampers?? They look like one hell of an off-road tire, how about on road?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
not personally, but with any mud tire, they make some noise. i have heard they dig like crazy. there are several up here that will post about their swampers.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Swampers do not have a good rep as road tires...they are soft and also tend to be hard to balance. They are loud, too. They are specialty mud tires, really.

I would consider some of the more aggressive ATs such as BFG or Nitto Terra Grappler. I have had both and they are reasonably quiet and offer excellent traction for everything but gooey mud.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
if you truly want mud tires, no a/t will do. the mud tires on my rodeo were great on road and quite swell off road as well. ice traction sucked though, snow was manageable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts