Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case I park the truck until I get springs I am thinking about digging into an oil leak that has been bugging me. I have oil coming out of seals about half way down the aluminum block. It runs onto the exhaust maifold and stinks the place up and also ends up all over the inside of the frame rails. I don't know this engine well but am hoping it is the valve cover gaskets (may be cylinder head gasket).

The engine runs pretty well but my driveway is a fright and it looks like a refinery exploded under the truck.

I am pretty sure I can muddle through the valve cover gasket but not to sure about going much deeper.

Assuming I only go as deep as the valve cover gaskets will I need any parts/special tools besides the below:

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0376009
Manifold Set, Intake, Contains Plenum Chamber Gasket;1 Per Car
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0361602
Valve Cover Set, Contains Spark Plug Tube Seals;1 Per Car

Any advice from those who may have done this before?

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has replaced the cylinder head gasket(s) on this engine as to what is involved outside of removal and reverse installation. I am assuming I will have issues with orientation of valves/lifters and such which is probably over my head a bit.

I have Alldata and a Haynes manual for reference but in my experience they are not always very accurate and I do not want to get in a position that I cannot but the motor back together or worse I put it back together improperly and damage it.

Some of you guys really know your stuff so that is why i post here :wink:

Nathan

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I'm not sure it would be the head gaskets. Usually they fail where the coolant gets into the oil. Dont think I've seen any where the oil gets out.

As long as you are going to pull the intake manifold I would replace the thermostat, heater hoses, any other rubber hoses around there, o-rings on the metal tube that runs under the intake. You need to remove the intake to replace those items if they fail so best to do it only once.

I need to go on an oil leak search on mine as well. Someone at work pointed out the oil spot under mine in the parking lot. Just what I need, more stuff to fix :roll:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't forget to pull off the intake and change those two water o-rings that sit in the valley. I had one of those go south and it was a b--ch to fix. While at it, I changed the valve cover gaskets, all of the hoses, belts, timing belt parts, and a water pump. Total bill was just short of $400. Took a full weekend as well.
GEG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.