Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last night, it got to about -33 Celsius. My truck officially hated life. Well after 12 attempted jumps, the block heater being plugged in for an hour, and a new battery, she finally started. but my buddy pointed out that i was leaking some oil. I thought the rear main had blown completely, but its more near the middle of the engine on the passenger side. does that maybe sound like the seal on the oil filter? because it only leaks when the motor is running. thoughts??

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bradzuzu said:
It's possible !!! Did it backfire at all ?? Maybe a valve cover gasket blew !!
She didnt backfire at all. It was to dark out when my buddy saw it, so i couldnt see exactly where it was leaking from. If it is the valve cover gasket, how much would that be to replace?

·
Registered
504 Posts
AT such cold temps everything shrinks a little. Did it stop
Leaking after warm up. Mine leaks a little if I run it really hot rock
Crawling because the oil is so thin . Temp is a big factor , or it could have been a gasket waiting to fail and the cold pushed it to fail earlier.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loopedr1 said:
AT such cold temps everything shrinks a little. Did it stop
Leaking after warm up. Mine leaks a little if I run it really hot rock
Crawling because the oil is so thin . Temp is a big factor , or it could have been a gasket waiting to fail and the cold pushed it to fail earlier.
It seems to be worse when its on, and non-existant when the motors off.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Make sure it has oil and lay cardboard under it to find the drips ... Hopefully it's an easy fix.... Being a gm I wonder if the rear main is cold and shrunkin...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its happening mid engine passenger side though. When it was the rear main, it was pretty much right by the firewall.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well she's going in on the 27th, and we'll figure it out then.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rear pinion seal. on the diff. and the auto shop can't find one.

anybody got any ideas??

***edit***

FRONT pinion seal, not rear.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bradzuzu said:
Federal mogul should make one. I thought it was leaking up front ???
yeah, i meant front pinion seal, and i found one from OES for $12, and free shipping to boot!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Cool !!! Soon you'll be back in action havin fun !!! I can't remember if the front has a crush sleeve or not on the pinion.. Of it does it will need to be expanded/replaced real quick and reset.. Otherwise the preload will be more than before on the broke in bearings and might take them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts