Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone could help me out on what the largest size tires I can put on my 97 Passport. I currently am running the stock 16" rims and dont have a lift yet.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Depends on what stock rims you're referring too; some came with 16x6 others with 16x7's

Either rim can easily run 245/75, the wider rims can run 265/75's, you don't need a lift with either tire.

I've ran 285/75's in the past, but I ran those on 16x8 aftermarket rims...that's probably too wide a tire for a 7" rim, and definitely too wide for a 6" rim.

·
Registered
793 Posts
it's usually in the back side of the wheel , where should be "16 x 7" something like that

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Post a pic of the rim, we'll know right away just by looking at the rim.

I wouldn't run a 285 tire on a 16x6 or 16x7 rim, you need a 16x8 rim for that size width or you'll ruin the structure/center of the tire

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
285/75 is a 33x11.50, that's fine in a 16x7. If it was a snowflake rim, which is 16x7.5, you could even run a 305/70 fine. How do you figure it'd ruin the structure/center of the tire?I mean if it's way to wide it'd bulge up alot and I see that, but a 12.50 tire on a x8 rim is done all the time with no ill effects.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
It may only be an issue with 10-ply tires....don't know...but I ran 285 10-ply's on the rodeo for a time with 16x7 rims, tires badly crowned.

Could've been the tires too, I don't know....if you say it's ok and you've done it, I'm sure it's fine.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
aw you have that much trust in me :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, just checked and go figure...the size is stamped on the rims. Guess I should of taken a better look. Lol. These are what they look like if anyone was curious. 16x7's. Just put a new battery and alternator in. Gonna through a new starter in this weekend. Hopefully get some nice tires on her next weekend. Still shopping for the best price.

[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
no...you should be just fine, just take off your front mud flaps if you have stock flaps....I have aftermarket ones and don't have issues.

I ran 16x8 rims with 265/75 tires for a long time on my 97, only reason I lifted it is because I got bored, however, I have re lowered the front back down a bit.

Not sure how well you can see this pic, but this was with the rims/tires before I lifted it.

This is with a slight lift in the front and slightly bigger tires then previous pics

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Ya I ran 265/75's on stock wheels with 0 lift and no issues. I THINK I had to trim a tad bit off the lower plastic valance on the front bumper but if I did it was VERY minor and I think it was just the inside "lip"

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have been runing 235x85x16 which is a 32''tire on stock alum. rims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.